No signal after accidentally BIOS setting

DennisSt - Jan 9, 2018 at 04:30 PM - Latest reply: DennisSt 7 Posts Tuesday January 9, 2018Registration date January 11, 2018 Last seen
- Jan 11, 2018 at 06:22 PM
System was running fine, wanted to sell it and tried to erase all data from it by using DBAN from a boot cd, but couldnt seem to make it boot the cd (might had a broken iso file, dunno) so i wanted to check if the secure boot option inside the Bios settings was enabled.

It wouldnt show me the option, only after i enabled windows 8 features. But after i enabled windows 8 features it showed the secure boot option was disabled anyway, so i left it but forgot to disable windows 8 features before saving and turning the system off and on again.

Now my screen stays black and doesnt seem to get any signal from the pc.

The pc is running smoothly and i cant see any difference in terms of fan speed, noise or anything else.
I removed the CMOS battery and also tried the jumper method, but it didnt help.

Tried to connect via VGA-VGA, Hdmi-Hdmi, Hdmi-VGA.

Tried to connect directly to MoBo without Graphic card attached but didnt help.

There was something happening just now:
System was running smoothly (but no signal of cause) for like 15 minutes as i was writing this and then turned off and on again by itself just now, dunno why. It doesnt seem to do anything different beside that restart just now.

I removed one of two rams, swapped slots but didnt help either.

I noticed two fast beeps when turning on the system.

What can i do?
Thanks.

Windows 10 64bit
Msi b75ma-e33 ms-7808
Intel core i5-3350P
Ati Radeon R9 270X
2x4GB 3DDR SDRAM
See more 

16 replies

Reply to this topic
ac3mark 9211 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus April 24, 2018 Last seen - Jan 9, 2018 at 05:19 PM
Helpful
Ok, well here is the first problem...the webpage for DBAN, has NOT A SINGLE LINK FOR SUPPORT!

The second thing is, BEEPS mean hardware problem. Is the RAM in the right slot? Did you use an ESD strap when handling the RAM? Are you in a DRY cold climate, wearing wool socks?
DennisSt 7 Posts Tuesday January 9, 2018Registration date January 11, 2018 Last seen - Jan 9, 2018 at 05:40 PM
Yeah i almost freaked out cause i wouldn't be able to make DBAN run lol.. Little i know that would be the smaller problem..

To second: im not quite sure if those two fast beeps werent there before, it might just be normal. Just wanted to mention those.
I do not wear wool socks and i just removed the rams a hour ago(with my hands), the issue was there since yesterday so i dont think its wrong handling of the ram.
Respond to ac3mark
ac3mark 9211 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus April 24, 2018 Last seen - Jan 10, 2018 at 04:39 PM
Helpful
Thank you for understanding my humor.

For troubleshooting, you need to use VG-VGA pls. Use onboard GPU.
Can you see any visual feedback when booting? If you press the On Screen Menu button on the monitor, does it display a color setting, or a configuration menu> If it done't he monitor is bad!
DennisSt 7 Posts Tuesday January 9, 2018Registration date January 11, 2018 Last seen - Jan 10, 2018 at 05:28 PM
I tested another monitor already without success.

I checked the connections 50 times over the last two days, right now its connected VGA-VGA to the MoBo.

The monitor has VGA and HDMI
The MoBo has VGA and HDMI
The GPU has DVI, DVI-D, HDMI and DP.

I tried both connections possible to the MoBo.
I tried HDMI to HDMI GPU and the usual HDMI to DVI (and DVI-D) which ive been using ever since.
The only thing i havent been tested is VGA-DVI(-D) GPU.

Might have two buy a third cable tomorrow to try.

I dont even know what else i activated by enabling those *windows 8 features* inside the bios, but it should be resetted anyway after i resetted cmos like 5 times, once even overnight.
So i thought of it as some kind of connection issue. Hardware should be fine as it runs just like always and issues started right after that bios setting.
One thing though:

When unplugging one of the two rams the system stays in a permanent loop restarting every 3 seconds. Doenst matter which slot or ram.

So i can only start the pc with both rams plugged in.

Thanks for your help by the way
ac3mark 9211 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus April 24, 2018 Last seen - Jan 11, 2018 at 04:39 PM
Yes, slots matter, they must be paired. refer to your MB schematics for which slots are paired.

While you are looking at the schematic, see if there is a set of PINS to short together to HARD RESET the BIOS. This will force a reload from PROM. You place a "jumper" between the pins, and boot. It will do its thing. Take power off, pull jumper and try again!
DennisSt 7 Posts Tuesday January 9, 2018Registration date January 11, 2018 Last seen - Jan 11, 2018 at 05:52 PM
So i tried to find anything that fits your discription but well, only thing i can see is the JBAT1 jumper which i tried to short with a screwdriver a couple of times already.

What are those pins usally labeled as?
ac3mark 9211 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus April 24, 2018 Last seen - Jan 11, 2018 at 06:05 PM
BIOS reset typically. BE CAREFUL ABOUT YOUR PRACTICES!

OH OH! DO this! Take your BIOS battery out! Leave it out! Boot a couple of times. Put it back in! Try that!
DennisSt 7 Posts Tuesday January 9, 2018Registration date January 11, 2018 Last seen - Jan 11, 2018 at 06:22 PM
Yeah, tried it. Nothing changed.
But i did that before like 5 times as i mentioned in the original post.

I tested a higher wattage psu aswell as i thought it might be a power issue.

Msi support says i should flash the bios but how do i do it without getting any tiny bit of life on the screen?

The tutorial shows id have to download the bios onto a FAT usb stick, unplug all HDD, SDD, DVD and boot the system with the USB stick.

Another problem. The system wont start even for a second if my harddrive isnt plugged in.
Respond to ac3mark