Input part numbers and description into selected spreadsheet

Closed
antkerr Posts 1 Registration date Sunday January 21, 2018 Status Member Last seen January 21, 2018 - Updated on Jan 21, 2018 at 05:49 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Jan 22, 2018 at 09:08 PM
Hello, I am compiling a excel work sheet, so far I have created 'buttons' that take me to the correct spreadsheet sections I have created. What I need to do now is put part numbers and part description into the selected spreadsheet, I could have up to a hundred part numbers in each.
What I need help with is after the part number and description I would like a tick box to select that part number & description and put it on to another 'pick list' spread sheet automatically. So in the end I could click my 'button' and select various different parts and it end up on the 'pick sheet' spreadsheet, I hope this makes sense, I am pretty new to excel been used in this way. Any help will be mostly appreciated

2 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jan 22, 2018 at 04:23 AM
Hello Antkerr,

Could you please upload a sample of what you have done so far with your workbook showing inputs and expected outputs and showing exactly how you have the data set out. This will make it easier for us to understand what you would like to do and to do some testing.

You can upload a sample to a free file sharing site such as GE.TT or Drop Box and then post the link to your file back here.

In the meantime, here is some homework for you. Have a look at the following link:-

https://www.exceltrick.com/how_to/insert-a-checkbox-in-excel/

This is a very good example of how to set up tick (check) boxes and is very easy to follow. This will save us some time in trying to resolve your query.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Thanks for the homework this will help me alot. I have attached the link through drop box. Thanks for you help so far
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d23xdq2d4ukodwv/WORKSHOP.xlsm?dl=0
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jan 22, 2018 at 09:08 PM
Hello Antkerr,

There appears to be a few problems with the buttons on your main sheet. A "Subscript out of range" error appears when one clicks on the buttons. This generally means that the code cannot find the correct sheet which means that the codes have not been assigned to the correct buttons. So, that's your next homework assignment! Assign the correct code to the buttons.

How are the tick boxes coming along? We'll need to see how you have set them up before we can create a macro to do the transferring of data to the "Pick" sheet. When you have sorted out these two items, upload a new working sample and we'll then be able to put the finishing touches to your workbook.

BTW, when you allocate the link cells to the tick boxes, pick a column out of sight of your main input areas (such as Column Z). We only need the True/False values to work with. These are built in functions with the tick boxes and will appear in the link cells automatically. You will not have to add any "IF" statements as per the tutorial.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.