Chrisalex75 - Apr 4, 2018 at 06:45 PM
Gpu- GTX 970

Motherboard - Asrock H97pro4

CPU- Intel core i5-4460 3.2gz

PSU- VGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze
Certified ATX Power Supply

Ram - Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage- Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Hello, A week ago my pc turned off on its own while gaming and wouldnt power back on. The fans inside would spin for a fraction of a second then stop.

From people posting similar problems online i figured the psu went bad.

I brought it to a chain pc repair shop and they told me my psu was bad and fried my gpu along with the test gpu they used in diagnosing the problem. They tried to sell me a new psu and gpu but i declined.

I tried to turn it on at home because why not and it stayed on this time.
The repair shop deleted everything from my hard drive during diagnosing the problem so I reinstalled windows 7 via disk.

Everything seemed to work fine installing it until i started getting these problems:

Sometimes when i turn my pc on, its just an immediate dark screen with no option to go to bios.

Other times when turning on my pc, I get a solid color screen like bright green, light blue, and even pink once. I cannot see my mouse cursor when this happens.

Sometimes im able to get to my windows login but shortly after entering my password the screen has a blue or white flash and the screen darkens and then i get a no signal prompt from my monitor.

Ive tried fresh installing windows 3 or 4 times but the same problem still occurs eventually.

I tried starting the pc in safe mode and its working i think? Ive been sitting in safe mode for a good 15 mins and the pc screen hasnt changed to a solid color or turned black light it usually does.

This has been driving me crazy since last week, anything I can do to fix this?
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 4, 2018 at 04:58 AM
Hi

I believe we discussed this yesterday but this time you are giving better explanations about your issue.

After you installed Windows, did you update your Gpu- GTX 970 driver. I suggest you start with that but booting in safe mode with networking.

Here is the address:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
Hello, yes I did indeed install gpu drivers directly from Nvidias website. After the pc self restarts when drivers are installed is when I started having these display issues.

I tried to start my pc a dozen or so times this morning. Most of the time the screen just stays dark but one time the screen was a full light green color.

2 times I was able to to get to the point where I could start with safe mode with networking. When word prompts were going across my screen, the screen flashed dark once and the second time white.

I usually use a DisplayPort cable on my monitor. I tried using an HDMI cable on the same monitor instead and the same problems occurred.

I plugged in my old monitor, and used a DVI-D cable and got the same problems.

I don’t thInk it’s a monitor issue.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Chrisalex75
Apr 4, 2018 at 04:51 PM
I don't think either that it's a monitor issue. In my opinion you have a GPU problem. Do you have a spare one that is compatible with your system?
Unfortunately no I don’t have a spare one.

You don’t think it’s a power supply problem?

It originally powered off on its own while gaming and wouldn’t turn on except for a fraction of a second. I then took it to a pc repair shop and it started to stay fully powered on afterwards randomly.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Chrisalex75
Apr 4, 2018 at 06:02 PM
I once had a desktop which would turn itself off. During the night, almost as if there were a ghost in the house it would turn on. This went on randomly. It was a power supply issue. It happened after a power surge cause by the electric company and falty house wiring.

I realize that $400 for a psu is kind of expensive when you think that some very good computers sell for $700. Did the repair shop test with their psu?

Essentially, the psu converts the alternating current (AC) into a continuous form of power that the computer components need in order to run normally, called direct current (DC). It also regulates overheating by controlling voltage, which may change automatically or manually depending on the power supply.

Now you say that the hd and fan spin, you were even able to load Win7.

My educated guess it's your GForce.
The repair shop said both the psu and gpu was bad, and that my psu fried there testing GPU.

It’s possible that they were trying to upsell though.

I believe EVGA has a 3 year warranty so I’ll try to see if they let me RMA it.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, thanks a lot.