Duplicate rows from multiple worksheets

Solved/Closed
iksta Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 5, 2018 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2018 - May 5, 2018 at 02:19 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - May 8, 2018 at 07:04 PM
Hello,

I have a workbook that I'm hoping will be the template for a monthly log. It is almost done, but I cannot figure out the best way to perform one vital function.

There is one worksheet for each day of the month, plus another sheet labelled 'Follow Up'. On the Follow Up page I want to create a button that will run a macro that copies all rows showing 'Follow Up' in column G. When these are marked as 'Complete' if the button is pressed again, it should delete old entries from the Follow Up page.

In other words, I want to be able to see which items need following up most urgently at the click of a button. Only items currently marked with 'Follow Up' should show on that page.

I have seen something similar done before, but it was long before I knew anything about coding (I still have only very limited knowledge), so I didn't even think to look at how it was done.

Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

4 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
May 5, 2018 at 08:24 PM
Hello Iksta,

When a row of data is marked as "Complete" on the Follow Up sheet, will it also be in Column G?

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
iksta Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 5, 2018 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2018
May 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM
Yes.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
May 8, 2018 at 04:53 AM
Hello Iksta,

The following two codes should do the task for you.

Firstly:-

Sub FollowUp()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheet1.UsedRange.Offset(1).ClearContents

For Each ws In Worksheets
If ws.Name <> "Follow Up" Then
With ws.[A1].CurrentRegion
             .AutoFilter 7, "Follow Up", , , 7
             .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy
             Sheet1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2).PasteSpecial xlValues
             .AutoFilter
             End With
       End If
Next ws

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This code will filter Column G in all sheets (except the Follow Up sheet) for the criteria "Follow Up". It then transfers the relevant rows of data to the Follow Up sheet. Place the code in a standard module and assign it to a button.

Secondly:-

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Intersect(Target, Columns("G:G")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Target.Value = "Complete" Then
Target.EntireRow.Delete
End If

End Sub

When you type the word Complete in any cell in Column G of the Follow Up sheet then click away (or press enter or down arrow), the relevant row of data will be deleted from the Follow Up sheet. This code does not need a button and needs to be placed in the Follow Up sheet module. So, to implement this second code:-

- Right click on the Follow Up sheet tab.
- Select "View Code" from the menu that appears.
- In the big white field that then appears, paste the second code.

Following is a sample workbook that I have prepared for you so that you can see how the codes work:-

http://ge.tt/4rAUiip2

Click on the "RUN" button to see the data from the source sheets transferred to the Follow Up sheet.

When you have some data in the Follow Up sheet, overwrite "Follow Up" in any cell in Column G with "Complete" then click away (or press enter or down arrow). You'll note that the relevant row of data is deleted.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
iksta Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 5, 2018 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2018
May 8, 2018 at 06:38 AM
Hi vcoolio,

Thank you so much! I can see it is working great on your sample. However, when I tried to use this on my workbook it did not work. And when I tried to reverse engineer your sample I also couldn't get it working the way I want it to.

I think it may be because on each page I want the relevant data to start from the 9th row down. I.e. The First 8 rows will be frozen to make a header of sorts, with the first 7 displaying statistics for the day, the 8th displaying the headings, and the 9th row being where the data entry actually starts. All this I can do on my own.

When I have it set up in my desired layout, the error I get is: 'Run-time error '1004': AutoFilter of Range class failed', then it asks me to alter the following line of code when I debug: '.AutoFilter 7, "Follow Up", , , 7'

Can you think of a solution for this problem? Otherwise I am sure I can make it work with the code you have given me. I'll just have to tweak the layout a bit.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

-- iksta
May 8, 2018 at 07:01 AM
To give you an idea, this is what I'm going for... but for the whole month.

http://ge.tt/39gZpip2
May 8, 2018 at 09:04 AM
Hello Iksta,

The code slightly amended as follows should do the trick:-
Sub FollowUp()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheet1.UsedRange.Offset(8).ClearContents

For Each ws In Worksheets
If ws.Name <> "Follow Up" Then
With ws.[A8].CurrentRegion
             .AutoFilter 7, "Follow Up", , , 7
             .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy
             Sheet1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2).PasteSpecial xlValues
             .AutoFilter
             End With
       End If
Next ws

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

The second code should still be OK as it is.
Test it in a copy of your actual work book.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
May 8, 2018 at 10:19 AM
Perfect! Thank you so much for your continued assistance :)
May 8, 2018 at 07:04 PM
Hello Iksta,

You're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.