Android app, SQL database, and QR Codes

Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Aug 6, 2018 at 05:15 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 7, 2018 at 05:43 PM
Ok - a new project in an area have never played with before.

I am trying to build an android app where the user scans a QR code (or a bar code) and then is presented with details about the item scanned from an SQL database that has been pre-prepared. The user should not have any way to change the database. Everything I have seen on google gives users the ability to change the database.

Background about me - I have a little HTML and PHP and minimal SQL experience but nothing about programing an app.

Any ideas of what websites I can go toto help me build this app would be appreciated.
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 6, 2018 at 05:21 PM
Set the Back end TO QUERY the DB, not write to it. The SQL statement does this. Use a SELECT statement.

If the platform you are using allows for account control, set the APP to a USER that only has READ ONLY access. Never allow the APP to connect on an account that has full.

Now, if the account is set to read, all the user can do is scrape the data out, and never can alter it.

What platform are you using already?

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Aug 6, 2018 at 05:43 PM
Thanks ac3mark,

Im not using anything just yet - this will be my first android app attempt, so I really have no idea what Im doing - in fact I dont even know what language I will be using to build it.
Blocked Profile
Aug 6, 2018 at 05:53 PM
OK, well to start off, the APP will just RUN stored procedures, and return the product of those procedures to the device. So, you will need something that will allow STORED procedures. Then you will not have to worry abut the user, as NO STORED procedure will ever WRITE!

SO, so far, you will need a client device (app), and a server to handle web request. The web server will serve the client, and send commands to the DB server. The DB server will run a stored procedure, and send the product (listing) back to the Webserver, who will send it to the client. There is a 10K foot view of the wireframe!
Have FUN!