SATA drive file system no longer ntfs

Closed
SATA - Jun 21, 2009 at 06:45 PM
 pebkac - Sep 24, 2010 at 06:10 PM
Hello,

Some help please I have a healthy / active hard drive but the file system seems to not be registering (previously NTFS now blank). Now when I try to access this 2nd hard drive for my data files, it is promting me i need to format.

Please help - can I run anything t help me reinstate the working status?

it is a Maxtor harddrive, previously working as a 2nd harddrive with lots of data which I would like to access.
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Jun 22, 2009 at 08:44 AM
Hye you will need your motherboard sata driver! Just download it from the motherboard manufacturer's website!
Sorry -- do you have any step by step instructions please?
Blocked Profile
Jun 23, 2009 at 08:47 AM
Hye you can also use a recovery software to access the hard drive without formatting.. Just choose one of these:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
Probably the partition table (inside the master boot record i.e. the first 512 bytes of the disk) is damaged somehow.
Try to find a Linux Life-CD (Knoppix, Suse, whatever) and fix the problem with fdisk. fdisk is a command line utility in Linux. Run "man fdisk" from the command line first. Then decide, if You want to use the tool.
If the partition just lost its type, it is easy to assign the proper type with fdisk and rewrite the partition table.
If the whole partition table is lost, you might try to create your old partition from scratch. If the whole disk was formatted as one single partition this might work - but this is quite a bit risky.
There might be native Windows-Tools around that do the job.