Windows XP will not install

Closed
berguy Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2009 - Jun 27, 2009 at 03:10 PM
berguy Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2009 - Jun 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Hello,
I presently have a 80 gig ide drive as my "C" I purchased a Western Digital SATA 160 gig drive to replace it. I have made the necessary changes in the bios and it does see it, however, the installation allways stops telling of a critical error. I have two original copies of Windows XP with their own serial numbers and tried the second. I tought maybe the first had a problem with it, it did exactly the same thing. I cannnot even reinstall or repair the present 80 gig drive as it gives me the very same error. I have tried using the disk that comes with the dd to make a copy but it is slugish and programs no longer respond properly. I also have a 500 gig WD as a slave and it is partionned into three drives. Can it be that the ide and sata drives have problems working together? I use the second drive for MyFiles, MyPictures etc so that if the C goes I will not loose everything.

Hoping to hear from someone soon

Guy
Related:

2 responses

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Jun 28, 2009 at 09:46 AM
Hello if you have a sata hard drive installed on your system this will cause a problem if you want to install windows in your IDE hard drive,

Remove the SATA one and change the sata mode to IDE on your bios and then you will be able to install windows xp!

Thanks
berguy Posts 3 Registration date Friday June 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2009
Jun 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Actually the ide mode was there on my first try, then I changed it, either way, xp will not install.
It was a good suggestion.

Thanks
Guy