How do I change the backgroud of a cell or a whole section?

Closed
Xarzu - Mar 17, 2023 at 09:12 PM
Aron_7608 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 15, 2020 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2023 - May 15, 2023 at 02:46 AM

Hello,

I have a question.

How do I change the backgroud of a cell or a whole section?

I want to differentiate one set of data from anoter set based on the source of the data.  I think color coding the background and change the color is a good way to do that.  How is this done?  I clicked around the menu bar and I did not find anything easily.

Windows / Chrome 111.0.0.0

Related:

1 response

Aron_7608 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 15, 2020 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2023
May 15, 2023 at 02:46 AM

Hi Xarzu, 

Here's how you can do it using the built-in options:

1. Select the cell or range of cells you want to format.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, go to the "Fill" tab.
  4. Choose the desired background color from the color palette or enter a custom color.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the background color to the selected cells.

And here's how you can do it using conditional formatting:

1. Select the cell or range of cells you want to format.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the Excel ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Styles" group.
  4. Choose the desired conditional formatting rule that fits your criteria. For example, "Highlight Cells Rules" > "Equal To" to highlight cells with specific values.
  5. In the "Edit the Rule Description" section of the dialog box, specify the value or formula you want to use for formatting.
  6. Click on the "Format" button to choose the background color you want to apply.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the conditional formatting rule.

Best Regards.