Restore WhatsApp from backup without password

Solved
jsfroude Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 2, 2023 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2023 - Jul 2, 2023 at 04:55 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14318 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 - Jul 5, 2023 at 12:58 PM

After re-installing the app,  I’m trying to restore my WhatsApp via an iCloud backup but I don't know my password and do not have an Encryption Key

Is the password my iCloud password or was I asked to create a new/different password via WhatsApp? 

I have tried my iCloud password (I reset this and tried again) but it is not working. I've tried a few likely combinations but I now get locked out after each new attempt (currently waiting 7 hours to retry).

The advice on the website "Tap Chats > Chat Backup > End-to-end encrypted backup > Change Password." also does not work as that option isn't given to me as I don’t want to turn encryption on and create a new backup. 

How can I reset the password and restore my chat backups? 

iPhone / Chrome 114.0.5735.124

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14318 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:58 PM

Hello,

The password isn't associated with your iCloud account - it is an unique password only used for your encrypted backup. Without the password, it is impossible to access or restore the backup.

Unfortunately, if you forgot your password, there's no way to recover it and WhatsApp doesn't provide any option to reset it if you don't have access to your chats.

Sorry for the bad news...