Can't get Instagram landscape videos to work! - Help please

Perentie_1 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 3, 2023 Status Member Last seen September 4, 2023 - Jul 3, 2023 at 06:25 AM
Perentie_1 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 3, 2023 Status Member Last seen September 4, 2023 - Sep 4, 2023 at 03:54 AM

I've got a short vid to go up on Insta and YouTube and I want to keep it 16:9 (landscape mode) if possible.

I've read and read about this now being acceptable to do by just posting in the right format and ticking the 16:9 button during setup, and it will be available to view not only in portrait mode, but when tilting the phone to landscape it will fill the screen in 16:9 landscape mode.

Sounds great but it doesn't work!

I've uploaded a direct vid from an iPhone shot in 16:9, and I've  also uploaded a vid resized in Premiere Pro to 1.91:1 from a PC, and neither of these will display (after uploaded) in landscape mode on an iPhone or an Android!

Am I missing something here?

And if can get this to work, the next question is... is it worth it, as someone remarked that many people lock the phone tilt button, so even if it's working, most won't see it in landscape... is that right???

If none of this is worth it, then it's no problem for me to rotate the video in editing, and upload it in portrait full screen (but as a landscape video only), but I was just trying to use the existing Instagram protocols if possible.

Some feedback would be great here.

Related:

2 responses

johan2354 Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 10, 2021 Status Member Last seen September 4, 2023
Updated on Sep 4, 2023 at 06:59 AM

Much like working with the R Download Shortcut, getting your video to display in 16:9 mode on Instagram and YouTube can be a bit tricky. The 16:9 button during setup doesn't always do the job, and many people lock their phone's tilt, which means they might not see your landscape video correctly.

Consider rotating your video during editing and uploading it as a portrait, but still, keep it in landscape format to ensure a smoother experience for your viewers. Just like with technology, finding the right solution sometimes involves a bit of experimentation to make sure things work as intended.

Perentie_1 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 3, 2023 Status Member Last seen September 4, 2023
Sep 4, 2023 at 03:54 AM

Hey johan2345 many thanks for a response here.

I'd just about given up hope someone would reply! (;->

Ok, just a quick reply and hopefully you might expand on this. Totally understand the  'people lock their phones' scenario. That was pointed out to me recently by a heavy Instagram user. And the 16:9 button not always doing it's job... hmm... that's an odd one and good to know as I couldn't understand why my attempts didn't work, but that explains a lot.

As far as you said... 'Consider rotating your video during editing and uploading it as a portrait, but still, keep it in landscape format to ensure a smoother experience for your viewers. Just like with technology, finding the right solution sometimes involves a bit of experimentation to make sure things work as intended.'...

Yep, have already decided to do this with some clips that look or deserve to be in landscape mode, but I just didn't quite understand you saying... 'but still keep it in landscape mode'...?

Do  you mean the original/master, or do you mean something else? Just didn't quite get the full meaning here of that comment.

Also, I'd be interested in your thoughts re publishing in landscape mode with a clip. Again, a heavy user said that they would normally not bother to stop on a clip like that as they always only view in portrait mode (in their hand) and would scroll past a clip in landscape mode!

Now I've seen a number of clips presented in landscape mode. Is the attitude changing, and would you feel it worth it to publish in this mode if the vision was worth it?

I'd be interested and grateful for some outside thinking here.

Many thanks again.