Connection help

Closed
Flynn - Jul 14, 2009 at 02:24 PM
 Silverbird - Jul 14, 2009 at 02:50 PM
Hello,Im trying to connect my xbox to my computer using only the ethernet cable provided in the pro system pack
I need to know(if this is possible) how to open up a connection for from my computer to my xbox.

1 response

The network cable you have is intended to be used with a switch (network hub). Should you wish to join your pc and xbox directly, one needs a cross-over cable. Also you would need to set the ip adresses for each interface manually for example 10.0.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and on the other interface 10.0.0.2 with an identical subnet mask. If you have a router with a functioning DHCP server then if the pc and xbox is set to acquire ip adresses automatically and you would need TWO straight through (thru) cables to connect everything. The router will hand out ip adresses and link the pc and xbox. Switches do not provide NAT, DNS and DHCP services.

I suggest that you visit your local computer shop and ask them to assist you in connecting your equipment. You may learn more and save a lot of time.