My dell c840 latitude laptop will not rebooth

Closed
sleek - Jul 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM
 Chacklie - Dec 11, 2009 at 06:04 PM
Hello,
I installed a new windows XP service pack 2 on my dell c840 latitude laptop. during the installation, I discovered that the system failed to rebooth after the first stage of installation. It keeps writing "hard drive read failure"....could it mean that my hard drive is bad?....like I said, I was able to start the installation, to the point where the system needed to restart, and I could see the size of the hard disk while I was creating the partition.....somone please help, am loosing my mind...
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Hello,

I will advise you to restore your system to an earlier date:

Press Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools ----> System Restore Open it and then select a date when your computer was working fine
then press next Let the process to be done
Restart your machine normally
This will solve the problem
Thanks
Thanks for ur contribution, but like I said, I have formatted the hard drive, hence, there is no data in the hard disk. And the system just wuld not com on. Pls tel me that nothing has happened to my hard disk....please....
It could be different things. Just play around with the hard drive. In the C840, there's only 1 screw and a latch to remove it. Remove it and if you have an extra 2.5" HDD try putting it in and see if you get past the BIOS post, if not then just take it off and put it back in. But from what I recon, since I had a C840 myself, you have a bad HDD, you can buy a relatively cheap replacement on eBay.