Settin an IP address

Closed
Daddi - Jul 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM
 Daddi - Jul 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Hello,
To begin here are some details:

ISP: Tiscali
Router Netgeat DG834G v4 ADSL 2+ wiresless router.

Yesterday I logged into my router settings, on the basic settings I have a static IP option which allows me to input an IP address. I did this entering 88.109.8.0 as I assumed this IP would possibly be assigned to me. To my suprise after clicking apply settings, I was assigned the IP and could connect to the internet without any problems.

Today (the next day) I attempt to access the internet, however I now cannot display any web pages, I've not changed any settings and do not understand how I cannot access the internet. I then re-attempted what I did yesterday setting up the IP again, however again I could not access the internet. I know it is possible to set an IP like I have done and keep it for a considerable amount of time as I have seen it done before.

As I troubleshoot what the problem may be, I can only think that maybe the Domain Name Server addresses and/or the Gateway IP address may need to be specific numbers for certain IP address to work. As it stands I have set the router to obtain these addresses automatically as I did before when I was successful.

Could I be right in thinking that could cause a problem. When I did successfully connect after setting the IP address I'm thinking that I may have gotten lucky with the other numbers and addresses maybe?

Can anyone assist me in any way?

Thanks.

7 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Hello,

Normally in the settings you can set a range of IP address,

For example 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100

Just keep the default IP range such as 192.168.1.1

or

Reset your router

Thanks
Hello,

Perhaps, answers below would help;

Yesterday I logged into my router settings, on the basic settings I have a static IP option which allows me to input an IP address. I did this entering 88.109.8.0 as I assumed this IP would possibly be assigned to me. To my suprise after clicking apply settings, I was assigned the IP and could connect to the internet without any problems.

A:>> Seems that you have access into the router settings. A new router would already comes with its default static ip configurations, set by the ISP. It is unlikely for any router end-users to re-enter new ip addresses into it.

Today (the next day) I attempt to access the internet, however I now cannot display any web pages, I've not changed any settings and do not understand how I cannot access the internet. I then re-attempted what I did yesterday setting up the IP again, however again I could not access the internet. I know it is possible to set an IP like I have done and keep it for a considerable amount of time as I have seen it done before.

A:>> Take note that the ip addresses that you attempted to change might be the Gateway, DNS, or WINS ip addresses. These addresses are fixed and default by you ISP, and are used to communicate between you ISP server. Once changed, your router will not be able to establish any access into the server, thus network communication failed.

As I troubleshoot what the problem may be, I can only think that maybe the Domain Name Server addresses and/or the Gateway IP address may need to be specific numbers for certain IP address to work. As it stands I have set the router to obtain these addresses automatically as I did before when I was successful.

A:>> Your router would have fixed ip addresses, whilst YOUR pc has to be set to DHCP enabled (aka. obtain these addresses automatically). Your router will eventually assign ip addresses to your pc. You need to call up you ISP to redo the router configurations.

Could I be right in thinking that could cause a problem. When I did successfully connect after setting the IP address I'm thinking that I may have gotten lucky with the other numbers and addresses maybe?

A:>> Lucky may be, but please note that never attempt any changes to the router.

If network connection seems failed, follow this simple basic test;
1. Start from your PC. Open a command prompt; ie: Start > Run > cmd.
2. Type in ipconfig. You should see a series of ip addresses under your network port name; ie:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPP adapter DU -Vodafone Celcom 3G:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 99.99.203.212
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 99.99.203.211

3. Perform a ping command to Default Gateway, and best result should be as below;

Pinging 99.99.203.211 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 99.99.203.211: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 99.99.203.211:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

4. If you are running on wireless, verify that NO conflicts between the wireless line you are attempting to log into. Because most network problems may occur due to multiple wireless available around. To verify this, you have to run a check on 'Find Available Wireless Network' utility.

5. After all four steps above corrected, then only you go to check on the router.
6. Physically, chk if all working LEDs run as it should (Power LED, network LED, etc). Any failing condition on the router may ONLY needs a reset. Look for a reset button on the router to reset, OR power off and then On the router to get it reset.
7. It is best to check when you attempt to reset/power off the router, you get back to your PC, run the 'Find Available Wireless Network' utility. If you find your router is 'missing' during the reset attempt, it means your router is good.
8. Once your router has reset itself, run 'Find Available Wireless Network' utility and try to connect. Once connected, chk the STATUS of your new connections, or you may want to try on Steps 1 to 3 to verify.
9. Finally, try to browse on common websites, ie: Yahoo!, Google.com, Windows.com.

Sometimes you may just not able to go into certain websites due to their downtime or slow connections.
Also, if you find your connections becoming unstable, close/stop some internet browsers, or even limit you
downloads. Althought your router is capable of high-speed connections, it is still limited to the other server
connections limits. Being the 'middle person', your router also needs to have its own space before remit &
transmit each data received.

Pls note, these are the End-User self test that applies in my Country. Our ISPs has restricted end-users
from attempting any changes to their ADSL routers, as part of security reasons.
Your country may OR may not proof the same; pertaining to the law of your government.
U can always consult with your ISPs for further support.
A:>> Seems that you have access into the router settings. A new router would already comes with its default static ip configurations, set by the ISP. It is unlikely for any router end-users to re-enter new ip addresses into it.

^^ Yes by putting a dynamic ip in the static box it allows me to create a "sticky ip" and ive seen it work.

A:>> Take note that the ip addresses that you attempted to change might be the Gateway, DNS, or WINS ip addresses. These addresses are fixed and default by you ISP, and are used to communicate between you ISP server. Once changed, your router will not be able to establish any access into the server, thus network communication failed.

^^ The only IP address i changed was the wan IP, the DNS and gateway IP's are still automatically provided by the ISP, so there shouldn't be a problem there?

A:>> Your router would have fixed ip addresses, whilst YOUR pc has to be set to DHCP enabled (aka. obtain these addresses automatically). Your router will eventually assign ip addresses to your pc. You need to call up you ISP to redo the router configurations.

^^ The PC settings dont effect it at all, as they have not been changed at all, one time it worked the other time it didn't with exactly the same PC settings.

"As I troubleshoot what the problem may be, I can only think that maybe the Domain Name Server addresses and/or the Gateway IP address may need to be specific numbers for certain IP address to work. As it stands I have set the router to obtain these addresses automatically as I did before when I was successful. "

Do you agree with the above statement as a possible reason for the problem?
izzool Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2009
Jul 20, 2009 at 02:09 PM
Hi again,

^^ Yes by putting a dynamic ip in the static box it allows me to create a "sticky ip" and ive seen it work.

Re: Recall when u 1st attempt to change these IPs, were there blank or with numbers?

^^ The only IP address i changed was the wan IP, the DNS and gateway IP's are still automatically provided by the ISP, so there shouldn't be a problem there?

Re: The wan IP can somehow be blank (DHCP enabled), but DNS and Gateway should be fixed by your ISP during factory setup.

^^ The PC settings dont effect it at all, as they have not been changed at all, one time it worked the other time it didn't with exactly the same PC settings.

Re: Your PC settings shud b set to 'Obtain the Address Automatically'. When you try to connect to the router, the router will assign the ip to your PC.

"As I troubleshoot what the problem may be, I can only think that maybe the Domain Name Server addresses and/or the Gateway IP address may need to be specific numbers for certain IP address to work. As it stands I have set the router to obtain these addresses automatically as I did before when I was successful."
Do you agree with the above statement as a possible reason for the problem?

Re: Yes, as I was refering earlier, the Domain Name Server (DNS) and the Gateway addresses shud be in specific (static) numbers. WINS are optional, if provided by your ISP, too need to be specific numbers. Pls consult with ur ISP to verify if any.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi again,

Re: Recall when u 1st attempt to change these IPs, were there blank or with numbers?

^^ They wer blank.

Re: The wan IP can somehow be blank (DHCP enabled), but DNS and Gateway should be fixed by your ISP during factory setup.

^^ No they are not fixed, I have this set to auto configure from ISP, and they vary quite often. Thats what i was saying when I managed to get it working these numbers must have luckily matched to allow the IP address that i input into the static IP box to work?

I just dont undersand how one day it works, and the other it doesn't?
izzool Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2009
Jul 20, 2009 at 03:26 PM
Hi,

^^ They wer blank.

^^ No they are not fixed, I have this set to auto configure from ISP, and they vary quite often. Thats what i was saying when I managed to get it working these numbers must have luckily matched to allow the IP address that i input into the static IP box to work?

Re: Seems tht your router IPs were set to be auto-cfg. For this issue, the only solutions I can provide is to run thru the basic test above. This is just to verify that the router is running good.

I just dont undersand how one day it works, and the other it doesn't?
Re: The router basically is just a communication media to allow you to connect to your ISP. Anytime, it can be idle and disconnected. U will not be able to identify this as it happens to the router internally. Due to multiple users around, the router may lose its connections (network conjunction). The best solution is to reset the router to enable it to re-establish fresh connections.

In time of this responses, my high-speed broadband modem also giving the same crack. All I do is re-establish the connections, and wal-lah. I'm back online.

Always, if u need further clarifications, talk to your ISP as they know what best they can offer you.
The reason why I believe its the DNS and/or the gateway IP address changing thats effecting this is because a friend of mine has done this himself, he lives quite a distance away from me, uses the same equipment, and is on the same ISP.

His WAN IP address always begins with the same two numbers, (where as mine varies quite alot) meaning that the DNS and gateway IP addresses never change either allowing him to set his IP and not lose it. Even though the ISP is set dynamically.

Meaning that I'd need to set the right DNS and gateway IP's for it to work for the IP I want to set.

Is there any sense in what I'm saying or am I completely wrong?