Change Event

Closed
Mike - Jul 20, 2009 at 10:27 PM
 Mike - Jul 23, 2009 at 07:55 PM
Hello,
I want to run a macro when certain cells are changed on every worksheet of a workbook. I copied the Change Event Example from VBA Help:

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sheet1 As Object, _
ByVal A5 As Range)
Font.ColorIndex = 5
' runs when a sheet is changed
End Sub

but it doesn't run. Do I have to enable it in some way?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

4 responses

Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Jul 21, 2009 at 03:49 AM
Hi Mike

Try this

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Sh.Name = "Sheet1" And Target.Address = "$A$5" Then Target.Font.ColorIndex = 5
End Sub
Excelguru,
I put in the macro that you sent me, but it does nothing. Do I have to enable it in some way?

Thanks,
Mike
Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Jul 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM
Hello Mike

You didnt tell me which cells have to be changed. From the macro code you put I inferred that you have to change the cell colour of Cell A5 of sheet1
If you have more cells add more lines in the strcuture
If Sh.Name = "Sheet1" And Target.Address = "$A$5" Then Target.Font.ColorIndex = 5
where you have to change the sheet name and cell address
if you want all cells to change color just put
Target.Font.ColorIndex = 5
Yes! That worked. OK 1 more thing. I want to run a macro when the cell is changed by another sheet. i.e. the cell is linked to another sheet and that is the sheet which is going to change the value. If I link it now and change the value of the target, the macro doesn't run.

Thanks in advance Excelguru.

Mike
Jul 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Hello Mike

Then use this
If Sh.Name = "Sheet1" And Target.Address = "$A$5" Then sheets("sheet2").range("f5").Font.ColorIndex = 5
OK That worked, but now I have another problem. The computer is hooked up to a scale which sends the weights to a default Excel workbook which is unusable for Production, so I linked another workbook to it so that the weights will appear there. The problem is that when the weights come over, they won't trigger the macro. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Excelguru,

Mike