Win 32 sality

Closed
alex - Aug 16, 2009 at 04:53 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 23, 2009 at 05:02 PM
Hello,
my system got attacked by win 32 sality virus and has corrupted my system volume information i have used many antivirus but they dont see the virus its only avast that sees it but cannot repair it. it is only delete that works and its a system file so for two months i have not heard any sound from my pc i formated it mant times but to avail so u want to ask if i can use a hard drive usb to format it please in need your help any answer will be appreciated thanks tou can send the answer to my mail alex_don74@yahoo.com thanks
Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 19, 2009 at 04:15 PM
what pc system do you have?

what you need to do is gather all the drivers from the motherboards website.
do a clean install of XP on your Hard drive.
the proceed to install the motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website.

what some people do is install XP then assume that because there is no sound that the sound is broken. all it needs are the drivers for the motherboard added.
Thanks sharpman i ve done a clean installation of windows xp like five times and downloaded the sound driver from the manufactures site but it still did not produce any sound i ve used xp pack 2 and 3 all beacuse of my sound the funniest part is that after formatting and fresh installation of xp i run an antivirus program i use avast 4.8 home edition after that i run a full scan i still see that win 32 sality guy am tired of that virus it has really dealt with me i need your help.
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 23, 2009 at 05:02 PM
if you are still seeing the virus after fresh install and installation of your antivirus, then i can only assume that the virus is in your software.

where did you aquire the xp disk, sp2 and sp3 files. the avast program, and the driver for your sound.

I would, if I was you ditch the avast, get hold of either kaspersky internet security (my prefered choice, have had for a couple of years with no issues) or nod32 internet security. both have a 30 day free trial. (they're reasonably priced when/if you decide to buy.

go to another pc and download sp2/sp3 iso's and burn to cd on this other pc (obviously you need to be certain that this other pc is 100% clean)

go to the support page of your mobo/pc
download all the drivers that are there for your model. save these to a cd

go to this link
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/
and download hirens boot cd v9.9, burn it to cd. you will need this at the end.

now, I know it's a laborious task but your gonna have to bite the bullet and start from scratch.
do a complete format. delete any partitions and create them fresh.

remove your network cable from the pc.
install your XP.
dig out the drivers cd created previously, install them, doing the chipset drivers first.
when that is done, check all operations of hardware.
now install the internet security software
do a complete virus sewwp of your pc. shouldn't take long as not much on there.

now, if sp2 was not in your xp installation, install this. but if you had xp sp2 cd the go to sp3 and install this.

again do a sweep of your system.

check sound etc again.

now, you are sure everything is working you need to do a backup of the hard drive using either ghost or acronis. your choice. both make an exact image of a hard drive for the purpose of restoring to bginning.

this process will save you a hell of a lot of time in the future if problems occur again.

go to this link,
http://portable-norton-ghost.blogspot.com/
download the pdf file at bottom of page. just close any popup windows as they come.
They are the instructions for the next phase.

looking at this link,
http://www.hirensbootcd.net/screenshots.html

pop the hirens boot cd in drive and boot your pc
when the menu appears we select
start boot CD
option 2 - backup tools
option 2 - norton ghost

once you've created your back up, put it away somewhere safe.

hope it's not too confusing. if so please ask.