Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
May 27, 2021
-
https://ccm.net/faq/44234-where-does-windows-10-install-apps
Where Does Windows 10 Install Apps
Under Take Ownership of the Windows Apps Folder states "Type your Windows ID into the Enter the object name to select field and then click on Check Names:"

Where do I find my Windows ID?

4 replies

Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
May 27, 2021
Hi,

In the context of this article, the Windows ID is referring to the username of your Windows account. You can find it by right-clicking on the taskbar and going to Task Manager > Users. Then under "User", your username will be displayed.
Regarding "In the context of this article, the Windows ID is referring to the username of your Windows account. You can find it by right-clicking on the taskbar and going to Task Manager > Users. Then under "User", your username will be displayed." Yes, I found username there without any "@outlook.com" or whatever.

Then under Take Ownership of the Windows Apps Folder why not state "Type your username of your Windows account into the Enter the object name to select field and then click on Check Names:" instead of stating "Type your Windows ID into the Enter the object name to select field and then click on Check Names:"?

I typed my username into the Enter the object name to select field and received pop-up error: An object (User, Group, or Built-in security principal) with the following name cannot be found" "username". Check the selected object types and locations for accuracy and ensure that you have typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.

Seems the picture on https://ccm.net/faq/44234-where-does-windows-10-install-apps under "Type your Windows ID into the Enter the object name to select field and then click on Check Names:" has username crossed out followed by "@outlook.com". Why is there no mention of "@outlook.com" or whatever needs to be entered with username? Is "@outlook.com" suppose to be the e-mail application one is using? That is, if I use gmail then do I enter ***@***? Although I already tried that and still received the same pop-up error message.
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
May 27, 2021
I remembered that we can use two types of accounts with Windows 10. A Microsoft account or a local account. Thus, this is probably the reason why it states "Windows ID" and not "username" in the article.

That Outlook email address mentioned in the article is probably linked with a Microsoft account. If you're also using a Microsoft account and not a local account, try entering the associated email address.

To find out the email address of your Microsoft account, go to Settings > Accounts > Your info.

Alternatively, if you still get an error message telling you that the username can't be found, click the Advanced button and choose Find Now. Then you can select your user account from the list.
Regarding: Thus, this is probably the reason why it states "Windows ID" and not "username" in the article.

"Probably"? Why not for sure? Did the creator not leave documentation explain why "Windows ID"? If not, why not? What kind of development methodology is that?

Regarding: That Outlook email address mentioned in the article is probably linked with a Microsoft account.
"Probably"? Once again, why not for sure?

Regarding: Alternatively, if you still get an error message telling you that the username can't be found, click the Advanced button and choose Find Now. Then you can select your user account from the list.

Why is this information not provided on https://ccm.net/faq/44234-where-does-windows-10-install-apps Because that eventually worked.
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
May 27, 2021
The article was originally published in 2015, and the steps have remained the same since. I don't have any additional information either, just like you, which is why I can't give you explanations with certainty.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!