No sound on XP

Closed
teppu - Aug 29, 2009 at 03:56 PM
 Golfeus - Nov 6, 2009 at 08:40 AM
I am running a no brand computer with windows XP professional on it. It worked fine until a few months ago when I was notified of updating to Service pack 3. I could not get it to completely install and lost the sound at that time. When I tried to do a system restore it didn't seem to change anything. I then used the restore disc and had sound. Not leaving well enough alone I again tried to install SP3, whis time with the help of a microsoft tech. It still didn't install and this time the computer crashed.... According to the local tech my hard drive crashed. I had a new hard drive installed and he also put on service pack 3.... but there is no sound. The volume icon is also disabled and apparently the modem has become the default sound. I have several other sound devices listed but the computer has no location. Nor can the computer find the drivers to activate them (such as the multi media audio controller) Can you tell me what I can do or should I shell out more money to try to fix this problem. Or use it for target practice?
Related:

3 responses

dancedhall Posts 3056 Registration date Wednesday May 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2010 655
Aug 30, 2009 at 07:25 AM
hi there,

please install all drivers

on pack 2 and then install all updates

Thanks
Should I go to Microsoft and get the drivers? Or would they be better from the restore CD? And if I use the restore will that remove Service Pack 3? Although at this point I'm not sure if the headache service pack 3 has caused is worth keeping it.
No sound in xp fix for me was:
K-Lite Codec Pack 5.3 Basic

4 days I spent researching and this did it!!!!