Explorer.exe not loading

Closed
lizil03 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday September 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2009 - Sep 11, 2009 at 12:40 AM
Dacota920 Posts 45 Registration date Wednesday September 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2010 - Sep 11, 2009 at 03:07 AM
I have searched through forums for 3 days now and find people with the same problem as me and solutions that worked for them but does not work for me.

I turned off my computer 1 night. Next day I start it up and only the background loads. I can access the task manager. I try running a new task and type in explorer.exe......3 errors pop up. As a matter of fact EVERY new task I try to start....3 errors pop up. Now I can get to regedit after the errors pop up. I have looked for the explorer and iexplorer keys and they don't exist in those folders that helped other people.

I was finally able to access the system restore feature...but no system restore points are found. Which is odd because I have one set every single week. And now none can be found.

I can access my AVG antivirus but am not able to do a scan. I have tried a few of my anti-spyware applications but they disappear off the screen within 5 seconds.

I start up in safe mode and just get a black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners.

I am unable to repair windows xp through the setup disk because it is too corrupted? My only option on there is to reinstall it completely or do something through the recovery console.

I'm lost and don't know what to do and at this point I just want to somehow copy my personal files onto a flash drive through the recovery console some how??? I'm willing to start over if I can at least do that.

1 response

Dacota920 Posts 45 Registration date Wednesday September 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2010 5
Sep 11, 2009 at 03:07 AM
Hi There,
Please press Alt+Ctrl+Del; Task manager would be open->Click on file->Run->regedit->Click Ok
Then go to below entry and see if "explorer.exe" is there or not/ if yes delete and restart
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrenVersion\Image File Execution Options