Function Keys

Solved/Closed
spinster - Sep 12, 2009 at 07:24 AM
 micky - May 24, 2010 at 08:13 AM
Hello,
I have a new Dell Inspiron 1545. I am in the habit of, from years of using other computers, using the function keys to perfrom basic functions (alt+f4 to close programs, f11 to make web browsers full screen, etc.) However, with this new computer, in order to use alt+f4 I also have to hit the fn key. Right now, if I just hit f4, it makes my screen dimmer - in other words, it appears to be doing the secondary function instead of the primary function. This is only the case with the function keys, though. I thought that maybe I would just have to retrain my brain and get used to hitting one more key, but then I figured there must be a work-around, because just hitting plain old alt+f4 on any other computer I use still works, so it seems silly that you'd need to know one way for some computers and another way for others.
Anyway. Please help?
Related:

5 responses

Hello,

I have the same problem..can anyone please find a way to make the function key the primiary ones. I hate to have to press FN + ALT + f4
Hi by default dell latptops are comming fn key as multimedia keys, to turn off this

go to bios settings -> advanced settings -> select function keys as main keys (you will see as multimedia keys)
I tried all these things but it turned out on my computer to be much simpler. I just had to press the "number lock key" by itself
quick set install
had similar problem. you have to change it in bios settins. can't remember how exactly but have a look around in there. enter it when your computer is starting up.something about reversing fn and regular functions.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 12, 2009 at 07:30 AM
the alt+f4 should still work. the fn key is for a further function of the f4 key
hitting alt + f4 whilst in a window, should close it as per norm.
I agree that alt+F4 should work - but it does NOT. I too am very disappointed with the retasking of basic keys and still am in search of a solution...
Aint you brilliant Sharpman...
you are pencil