Hard disk formatting

Closed
Caly - Sep 22, 2009 at 03:01 AM
 Caly - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Hello, I am called Caleb K.
I got a laptop of 140GB, 2.16GB and 2.3GHz but not partitioned and i would wish to partition it at least to have two storage spaces.
How can i go over this?
Related:

2 responses

Mwanasoft Posts 57 Registration date Sunday May 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2010 26
Sep 22, 2009 at 03:43 AM
First thing i should tell you, according to me i think data is more important
So before you try this i would like you to back-up your data.

Then you can proceed with the following process:

Solution 1:

Insert the original installation cd for windows and reboot or restart your machine.
As the machine boots, change your BIOS Boot Priority to CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (To enter BIOS you can press any of these key but it really matter with the type of BIOS you are using. Some of these keys are: Del, F2 etc)

The machine should start to boot from the installation CD or DVD, and it will inspect and load some of the important files in the Computer Memory and then it will start windows.

After-wards it will show you the size of your HDD in MBytes. Am not a good Mathematician but i think 140 GB is equivalent to 143360 MBs.

You will be prompted if you wanna delete the current partition (which i think in your case is just one C:\) by pressing D and finally L to confirm.

After deleting the partition, you have a Raw partition and you will then create a new partition by pressing c then you type the capacity in mbs (so you'll just divide by two what you get i.e if you need two partition and in your case you might be have 71680mb which is half 140gb. When you've completed entering the capacity you'll press enter, then for the remaining mbs you'll do the same. (but if you are planning to install in c: don't press enter to install at this point. Go back and you'll see that you have two partitions; C:\ and D:\, select C:\ and press install.Select a file system that you would like to use then format and continue with the rest of installation.

After installation you'll have two partitions and again you'll have to format the second partition D:\ for you to be able to open it.

Solution 2

You can decide to use some third party software to partition your drive without losing your data and without formatting your machine.

Why don't you try NORTON Partition Magic.
You can just Google it and then download, then try it.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy!!!!
wow, thanks so much dud.
i am done with it en have 2 partitions.
sarbel.vilo Posts 233 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 1, 2010 31
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Use Norton Partition Magic it's much more easier to partition your HDD !