Can't reformat Dell laptop

Closed
Kenny - Oct 11, 2009 at 03:09 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 11, 2009 at 04:58 PM
Hello,

My Dell laptop has little memory, and I would like to reformat it.
But here are the problems:
-I don't have the Admin password (it keeps asking for it)
-I don't have the Dell CDs that came with it (i'm clearly not very organized)
Can I do it without these things?
What do I need?
Help me, PLEASE!!!

...and thank you. :)
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2009 at 04:58 PM
You have a couple of problems with computer terminology and technology:
1. You FORMAT a hard disk - that erases all information and leaves you with a BLANK disk. You do not format a computer to restore it to factory condition.
2. MEMORY is temporary storage and is located on the Motherboard. If you no longer have room for data files (music, video) then you need to remove some of your junk files or add another hard disk.

If you really want to restore your computer to factory condition (and erase all your data files and programs) then you can do the following:

Press Fn + F11 (the Function key and F11 together) immediately after you turn on the laptop. If the Dell still has the hidden partition on the hard drive. That should start the resovery.

If you just want to recover some hard disk space then download and install CCleaner from this site:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download
run it and have it clean your hard drive.

Good Luck