My computer turns off when I touch it!!

Closed
Mechman Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2009 - Oct 13, 2009 at 07:33 PM
 Mechman - Oct 14, 2009 at 05:09 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have a funny situation here... I just bought a brand new ASUS M4N78 mobo, an AMD Athlon X2 240 Processor, an XFX GeForce 9500 GT VGA and a 2GB DDR2 FSB 800 Patriot RAM. The problem I encounter is that I can't put back my case cover, cause when I do it, my computer just turns off!! When I try to plug a headphone in, it just turns off. When I want to move my case just about few centimeters it turns off! The funniest thing of all is that there is a drawer right above the case in my desk and when I try to open the drawer my computer turns off. I just can't touch my PC!!! I don't know what the hell is wrong with it!

It works fine if you dont just touch it LOL. I am even sending this message on this very PC I bought today.

I am so desperate searching everywhere about it, can anybody help?

Thanks a lot
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM
You might have a bad power connection or a motherboard that is shorting-out to the case.

1st I would disconnect and reconnect all power cables to insure good connections.
then:
I would unscrew the motherboard from the case. Put a book under it for insulation. Put the video card back in and see if it will run. If this is a tower case you will probably need to turn it on it's side.
If it does run - then you need to look at the "stand-offs" you used on the case. Is there an extra one or two that are not needed? This can happen when you are reusing a old case.

Good Luck
Thanks xpcman,
I spent my whole holiday testing another system in my own case with my own power supply, with another power supply, my own system in another case with my own power supply and in another case with another power supply. (I was so desperate LOL)
The result was that the other system worked in my own case and my system worked in the other case... no matter how, it was I think the "stand-offs" you mentioned. 'Cause there might not be any other reason anyhow! I just checked everything except the stand-offs. We just swapped the cases, it was a friend of mine's. So I am not able to check the stand-offs.
Thanks for your great help and consideration. I appreciate so much!
For your information, I just noticed that you are right, because there were two stand-offs unused and not fitting my motherboard. I think it could be the reason.

Thanks again,

This is closed