My Windows XP not recognize any memory device

Solved/Closed
Dario - Aug 5, 2008 at 08:33 PM
 thestonecrusher - Nov 9, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Hello,

My Windows XP not recognize any memory devices (installed on my notebook Acer 4720), like pen drives, memory cards, etc... I tried a lot of things to solve this problem. Can somebody there help me?

Thanks!
Related:

42 responses

When I insert a pen drive or a memory card on my notebook, and then I try to open the device in my Windows XP, the Windows show a message saying

"The disk in drive F is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?"

Then, I press "Ok". I tried all the ways to format the disk, but no works. Then the Windows show a message saying:

"Windows was unable to complete the format."

and later...

"The disk in drive F cannot be formatted."
hi brother plz send me how to format my device
My Windows XP not recognize any memory device
yeah..i too have the same problem

can anyone help us??

jeez..
my memory card is not formatted
error window is not formatted unable to window
Hi,
I have Kingston data traveller 4GB. When I attach it with computer, message appears disk is not formatted,do you want to format it.I select yes, it starts formatting but message appears unable to format. Also data is not transferred from pc to Kingston data traveller. Please solve my problem.
Zahid
I've been searching boards every where on this as well...i tried 3 different usb in multiple ports on my dell desktop with win xp, SP3 installed. I read where if you disable all the usb installs under hardware they should work when they come back on line. It's formatted fine. FAT, I have an external HD that's been sketchy as well (times out when copying larger files) another post said it was a power drain form other things plugged in, trying that. But again, sometimes the device is recognized, then you go to copy and it fails, other times the device isn't even recoqnized.
i say call a computer worker to fix it I will call my brother frank
I have the same problem. Can someone help?

Thanks.
Viswanath

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Is your notebook Acer too?
No. I have the problem on my desktop.
i just got that problem too, it happened right after I booted an OS from the flash drive and installed win XP from my flash..it seems that it removes the formatting function known as "NTFS" during the installation....dont know how to fix it
you have to format in a low level format; boot from windows 98 then run fdisk locate your flash drive delete partition, restart again on win98 type format <drive> where your flash drive located. Careful when doing this because your c drive is your main drive. CAREFULLLLL!!!!!
This no solve my problem. But thank you anyway!
I have the same problem. nothing I connect to the drive works, it appears then disappears when I try to copy anything or format it or TOUCH anything on it. If I don't do anything it'll remain inserted.

I need help with this too!
but I have windows vista-- and my laptop is HP
Thank you! But no works again... When I do this, don't happens anything!
Same problem here. After SP# Update, laptop and desktop will not recognize my Western Digital Ext HD. I'm getting the same messages as original poster. Drive contains ALL my mp3's....please help!!! Thanks
I have the exact same problem on my work pc. I tried two different memory devices and neither work, however they are both just fine when I use them in any other machine so theres nothing wrong with them.

It went bad after installing SP3 so I think the problem is in windows xp's drivers.
hi I had the same problem but finaly solved it all you have to do is reset your bios back to factory default
thats all I did and have had no more trouble since. hope this solves your prob let me know how it goes if it dont work I still might be able to help you.
I'm having the same problem. what are bios? :(
hi the bios is the maincontrol for your computer usualy you can get to by pressing esc on the starting of the pc or you can open up your case and you will find a small jumper normaly next to the battery or in one of the corners
all you have to do is move the jumper to next pin for a few secs then replace it back to original pos make sure your pc is off and unpluged when doing this or you may damage mother board.hope this was helpful
manjer > spook
Jan 21, 2009 at 07:59 PM
problem is .... your windows is not installed in the primary partition.. and you are trying to format the primary partition which is not possible.. because the prtition table exists on the primary...... so the solution is if you are formating and installig windows again... do it in primary partition.. then you can format all other exyended partitions...
the solution is formatt just formatt I did and have had no more trouble since. hope this solves your prob let me know how it goes if it dont work I still might be able to help you.
I've run across this same problem too just in the past couple weeks. All three of my flash drives give the same "the device is not formatted" message when I try to open them, but it won't allow me to format it. They all work perfectly fine on any other PC.
Hello,

I have the same exact problem with my laptop. Were you able to solve the problem? If so, how?

Thanks,
Greg
I have similar problem on my HP laptop given to my by my employer. Somehow, I got a key and mouse activity logger got into my system. Don't know how it got in but I was very reluctant to use the laptop so, I used the system restore to restore the laptop to a state about 2-3 weeks old. Malware problem is now gone but this time, the external USB disk drive (an old iOmega 160GB) is not being recognized. It used to be recognized prior to system restore, now when I unplug and plug it back in, it says unknown device.
One note: at the beginning of the system restore, I got a message saying drive E: (which was iOmage external disk's drive letter) was not included in the system backups and hence will not be restored. Okay, I understand that but after I power cycle the laptop umpteen times, why doesn't it recognize as a new USB storage device with content on it ?
I have the same problem as the last poster. I ran a restore to get rid of malware and since then my usb devices are not recognized. I am also running xp SP3. I got out the old PS2 mouse and keyboard.
For what it is worth, I had a network drive that was mapped on Drive "I". For whatever reason, when I inserted my flash drive, it also tried to map to "I" (what a great OS XP is, huh?.) So, I went into Explorer and disconnected the network drive and refreshed my listed drives. Sure enough, my "I" drive now shows the flash drive. Hope that helped, I was having the same problem!
First, download the MS program named Tweak UI, this PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more. Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2003.

Once you have Tweak UI on your drive, open it and then click on "My Computer"...next select "Drives", then check EACH drive you think your falsh drive is on.

Then return to the main menu and click, "My Computer"...your drive should be displayed.
I'm going insane here.
I've been searching for answers on the web for the past day and haven't got anything that solves my problem.
I thought this TweakUI thing might help, but when I run it and look at the My Computer section, all the drive letters are checked already - all of them A, B , C,...right through to Z.

My problem is that anything that would normally be identified as a USB Mass Storage Device - which in my case is any one of about 4 flash drives I use from time to time, plus a Seagate External USB hard drive - has, as of today, just completely stopped being recognised by anything other than Device Manager on my WinXP SP3 lenovo T60 laptop. Until at least a few days ago, this was all working fine.

The Seagate External drive just doesn't show up in Explorer, and I can't browse to it from any application (e.g. Word, Excel)
The flash drives, when I insert them into any of the 3 USB ports available, do look as if they've been detected, but clicking on them to open their contents results in a message saying they need to be formatted... and even if I try clicking 'ok' on this, another message comes up saying the drive cannot be accessed.

Looking in Disk Management, there's no sign of the Seagate External drive, whilst the flash drives do show up, but as 'unreadable'...and with no blue or black line against them so there's nothing that can be done in terms of right-clicking, assigning a different drive letter, etc.

I've tried uninstalling all the USB host controllers in device manager, rebooting etc. No joy.

Even tried a Microsoft Tech Support suggestion about deleting LowerLimits and UpperLimits registry entries - didn't do anything other than cause the next reboot to fail and force me to return to Last Known Good Configuration.

HEEELLLPPPP MEEE SOMEBODY PLEEAASE!!!!
thank you so much apache1010
John-Mesa, AZ
Mar 17, 2009 at 09:57 AM
I had a similar problem. Here is what I did:, first go tot his URL and download the approporiate Tweakui for XP. :

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr2=sg-gac&sado=1&p=tweakui%20download&fr=slv7-msgr&fr2=sfp

Install the Tweakui progran, open it and run the application. Your menu will have the typical laundry list.

1. Click on "My Computer"
2. Then click on "Drives"
3. The right side pane will show your drives, the ones that are active will show check marks.
4. Go to the drive that your "Fash" is plugged into and check the box even if it shows a red ?
5. Hit "Apply:. then "OK"
6. Go to "My Computer"and your flash drive should now be indicated.

This worked for me, hope it works for you.

Be safe...

John.
John,

Unfortunately, that did not help. It (the PC) simply is not recognizing that the flash drive has been inserted. It does during start-up, but once that ends it is a blank. Clicking on the Device Manager gives me a Yellow ? next to the USB device, and clicking on Properties I get this:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The SanDisk site doesn't help either.
John > Grinch
Mar 17, 2009 at 05:03 PM
(Sigh)...using an old Smith-Corona was so much easier then this electronic s**t! Well, I'm sure you've been to Device Manager and updated your driver. If not, do so. Go BACK to TweakUi and check mark EVERY drive you have, then switch the flash drive from each USB port, one at a time going to My Computer to see if it was located on another drive...aside from that, I don't have a clue!