if your second gen iopd shuffle wont sync on windows xp this wll sort it.
1. Run "c:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc" (this is the Device Manager), this will need to be used later, but you'll need it quickly when you do.
2. Start iTunes
3. Connect iPod
4. Go to your iPod Settings and select "Enable disk use"
5. A dialog box will pop up reminding you that you'll need to manually eject. Hit OK
6. Hit Apply to save changes to the iPod
7. Quickly switch to Device Manager window and right-click on any item there and select "Scan for hardware changes"
8. Switch back to iTunes, where you should have a nice, working iPod!
it sometimes happens that the ipod dosn't work on a particular computer but works in another. in this case format your pc and re install your operating system.
this will probably work. if it dosn't replace your ipod if its still in contract