Excel data

Closed
tom - Nov 26, 2009 at 04:24 PM
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 - Nov 26, 2009 at 09:16 PM
Hello,
I basically want to do two things. I am tracking basketball stats for a league using excel. I've done all of the functions to sum up the numbers. I want to group data on one line together so when I sort one column, the entire thing moves. For example,

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
John Smith, Team A 10 14 32
Jake Smith, Team B 12 11 34

I want to be able to sort one column but have that person's data stick with them so if I sorted Column 4, then Jake Smith and all of his numbers jump up on top of John Smith.

Second, is there a way to feed that person's entire line into a different sheet. So if I did one sheet per team, and a final sheet for the league leaders, I could feed each person into that last sheet and then sort?

Thanks for any help!

1 response

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Nov 26, 2009 at 09:16 PM
Better introduce column headings in row no. 1.
Have you gone through the help for "sort". highlight the whole data and then sort. (check header row at the bottom of sort window)

2nd question
There should be column headings in the first row.
highlight the whole data
daa-filter-autofilter
you will get small arrows in all the column headings
click that arrow in the column A and click "cusotm" in the download list
in the custom window
choose "equals to" in the left window and
in the right window type
John smith*
(thes star(*) is important. This indicates wild card-any name with John smith and other wods like team A, team B etc. )
clcik ok
highlight the filtered data except headings and copy to the sheet named John smith.

if you want, record a macro making the above steps and edit the macro to suit you.