More Q's about WD external hard drive

Closed
jonzie008 Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 28, 2009 - Nov 28, 2009 at 01:12 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 28, 2009 at 01:56 PM
Hello,
I have had a WD My Book external HD running on my laptop for nearly 3 years now. Today I needed to format my internal HD due to virus infections. After reinstalling Windows XP from a recovery disc, I was able to access all of my files from the External HD. While listening to audio files from my external HD, I was attempting to save a pic file onto my external HD. I Created a new folder, but when I attempted to open the new folder, my system paused then flashed a message stating that the folder could not be accessed do to I/O error. Music was still playing at this point, but I could not access any folders on my external HD. I shut everything down and rebooted. When I plugged the external HD into the USB port, Windows chimed and the blue light lit up on the HD, but My Computer does not recognize it. My external HD does not reach full speed as it has in the past. Just makes small clicking noises, then eventually nothing at all. I have been reading other posts and trying the advice given, but nothing has worked up to this point. Maybe my External HD is shot? Is is possible to retrieve data still? Help!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 28, 2009 at 01:56 PM
Clicking noises are not good. Most likely the HD is dead. Sorry - there is near zero chance of data recovery. You might try to put the drive in the freezer (wrap it in a plastic bag first) for a few hours then try to access the data. This has been known to work until the drive warms up. About a 10% chance this will work.

Good Luck