Check disk, XP, correct path name

Closed
Jesalou Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 15, 2008 - Aug 28, 2008 at 09:08 AM
 lucy - Jul 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Hello, Is there an alternative to *chkdsk/r/f c:* This dosen't run-error msg. Have to run it thru task mamager.
On: Windows XP home, Version 2002, Sv Pk 2, eMachines T3516 - Intel [R], Caleron[R] D CPU 3.20 GHz, 384 MB RAM. **New problem: have not yet installed new V-card or memory. Yesterday a.m. started pc and got error msg of corrupt file [cryptui.dll] oddly enough [a tech friend tells me] it was preceded on the error msg by [C:/windows/system32\] which he says points to all of C: having a problem. Friend [is at work & and don't want to bother] says to do [ chkdsk/r/f c: ] thru task mgr because i do not have shortcuts on desktop=empty except for wallpaper. I tried this and it dosent run. Other things have, evidence, I am online. :) Obviously I am not that computer knowledgeable. Answer in lay terms, please.
Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 7.0
Related:

3 responses

crystal.me Posts 11 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2009 2
Aug 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM
can you tell me actually what is the exact problem please?
i really cant understand what is the problem
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Aug 28, 2008 at 01:05 PM
Hi,
Try with this command path : chkdsk c: /f /r
Best regards
chkdsk c: /f /r
path : chkdsk c: /f /r
To: aquarelle---actually it turned out to be 'chkdsk.exe ' Strange huh, but that worked, got from another site.
My friend/techie had told me the same as you said chkdsk/r/f---didn't work, but thanks anyway

To: crystal.me-----the problem was I had a corrupt file ie "C:\Windows\system32\cryptui.dll"
got error message on same. I seemed that the whole desktop and start menu used this file.
I had nothing but task mamager--reached by ctrl/alt/dele--- to browse and find programs
I could get on line and do most of what i normally do.
Once I did the chkdsk.exe and downloaded a new C:...... cryptuil.dll the thing welt back to normal.
However this wasn't without a lot of commands entered in "command Prompt" which my techie
friend gave to me via chat. and several restarts later 'veola" as they say. I am back in business
but that was 2 days of [H___]researching on line and talking to tech friend. I dont reccomended it.
With out the help I would be sunk.!!! Thank you guys and sites like this one are life savers !!!!