Screen fine but not turning on

Closed
Dom - Sep 2, 2008 at 10:20 AM
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 - Sep 4, 2008 at 03:33 AM
Hello,

Was in the middle of playing a game of BF2142 when the game froze up, tried ctrl+alt+delete etc but nothing worked so i resarted the computer. The computer powers up fine but the screen stays off as if the pc was still off, i can even hear windows boot up through the speakers. Now if i plug the monitor input into the onboard slot the screen works fine, but if i plug it back into the gfc card it doesnt work. It still doesnt work if i plug other gfx card in either. So is this a problem with the motherboard slot(PCI)? if so what can i do about it if anything short of sending it off to be looked at

Cheers

3 responses

brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Sep 2, 2008 at 01:01 PM
Hi There
If this is a problem with your mboard which it seems very likely and you computer or mboard are not in the warranty period Im afraid you are scuppered.

You have tried a different Graphics card in this slot eliminating a Graphics card Fault.

The only thing you might look at is in the BIOS to make sure the mboard is selecting the PCI slot for the first graphics, but I don't think that is it.

If you have the experience I would replace the mboard yourself.

If not look at buying a new base station. No one will ever consider trying to repair a mboard it is not economical or practical to try.
How can i check that in the BIOS, sorry my pc knowledge isnt that great lol.

On a side note, power is still definetly getting to the PCI slot as when a gfx card with a fan is insrted and the PC is booted up the fan activates on the card.
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Sep 4, 2008 at 03:33 AM
Hi There I cant tell you for sure how to get into your BIOS as some of them are different.

On my two computers I get into the BIOS by pressing the delete key on boot and on my other pressing the F2 key on boot,

but yours might be different normally when your PC tries to start there is instructions at the bottom of the screen of how to get into setup or BIOS.

I dont want to dissharten you but I dont thing that will be the problem.
Kindest Regards Tony B.