Computer cannot detect SD Memory card on USB

Closed
Fran - Sep 2, 2008 at 06:52 PM
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 - Sep 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Hello,

Both my computers cannot detect a 4 brand GB mermory card inserted in a USB slot through a card reader. The first one I had tried was an HP and I exchanged it for a Kingston.\, but neither works. SDtrangely, 2 GB SD cards work perfectly, though. The store I bought it from tried it on their computer and it works
.Neither of my home computers are latest generation but they less than 5 years old and work perfectly!
I have XP and I noticed when the card is plugged in ,the computer freezes :" My computer " gives a warning that it it is not responding and my browser ( Avant) hangs.

Any clues ?

Thank you

Fran
Related:

2 responses

aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Hello,
This thread is posted in double thus I close this one. Thanks to continue the discussion here : http://ccm.net/forum/affich 22094 computer cannot detect sd memory card on usb#dernier
Thanks for your understanding.
Best regards
pianomonster Posts 25 Registration date Monday August 25, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 16, 2009
Sep 3, 2008 at 03:58 AM
hi there,

well what i would first advice you to do is to format the memory card in the ntfs format on another computer and then try again. possibly your computer could have been infected by spywares or malwares and this is why your computer freezes when you open "My Computer" also try in this case to do a complete full scan of your computer using a software called superantispyware you can get it on the following link :

www.superantispyware.com
Thank you, Pianomonster,

but HOW can I format the memory card? On both computers I have, the SD card drive shows as not accessible ! Sometimes AFTER A FEW LONG MoMENTS , a scroll down menu appears by right-clicking on the drive and a FORMAT option appears among others, but when I click on it, it says there is no disk , so we are back to square one!
I even managed to download a Viking Intelli Multiflash card driver, but when I am about to install it, it says the computer does not need a driver for the multiflash drive and the installation aborts! As to possible viruses, I have a very effective AVG Antivirus on it, but to no avail!

Franco