More then 3gb ram on a 32bit OS?

Solved/Closed
Dariuas - Sep 12, 2008 at 07:47 AM
 kyle - amature computer technician - Jul 7, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Hello,
I would like to run 4 gigs PC5300 on a 32bit OS. Is it possible?
I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate. However, from everything that I know, 32bit OS will only recognize 3gigs of ram.
Related:

31 responses

My vista 32 could only use 3.2 gigs of my 4 gig ram
People started to complain so instead of fixing the problem, in a update they changed the wording,
all it says now is 4gigs installed. They even claimed that it was mathematically impossible to go beyond that in 32 bit you needed 64 bit. When you finally get tired of all the Microsoft lies, crashes, viruses, spy ware, anti-virus programs, and the fact they track you. Go with Linux, my laptop uses all 4 gigs now and don't think that windows 7 is going to be any better.
Basically.

32bit operating systems can access a total of 2^32 (2 because machine code is in binary, 1 or 0) memory allocations. That is 2 to the power of 32 which equals 4,294,967,296 or 4GB.

I didn't say 2^32 allocations of RAM I said 2^32 memory allocations. If you have a 512mb graphics card, the operating system has use 536,870,912 of its 4,294,967,296 available memory allocations just for the graphics card.

Every other card and input/output device also require a portion of the total available memory allactions, no exceptions.

The left over abailable memory allocations can then be allocated to RAM, which is why we see something which looks like 'RAM: 4GB (3.5GB usable)'.

On a seperate note, if you need more available ram just plug in 2^64 to your calculator. That is the total ammount of memory allocations a 64 bit operating system sopports.

(for those who cant be bothered calculating it, it's 18,446,744,073,709,551,616

side by side
4,294,967,296 (32bit)
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (64bit)
)
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/

Enabling PAE
To enable PAE:

Locate the Boot.ini file, which is typically in the root folder (for example, C:/) and remove its Read-Only and Hidden attributes.

Open the Boot.ini file with a text editor, and then add the /PAE parameter to the ARC path, as shown in the following example:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
\WINNT="Windows ???? Datacenter Server" /PAE /basevideo /sos

On the File menu, click Save.

Restore the Read-Only attribute to the Boot.ini file.
Ok, I uderstood. But let´s face a problem. If I had 3 giga of memory, and a card using, let´s say, one, 3 will remain for the system. With 4, 3 will remain. So, it still make sense for me to use the full 4 giga for 32 bits system. Am I correct?

Flavio
"two will remain"...

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
After installing the first service pack for Vista, regardless 32 or 64 bit, it should resolve the 3 GB ram issue.
At least it did for me.
no 32 bit os only register 2.8-3.2 gb of ram
. Recently I brought a new Sony Vaio E series VPCEB12EN laptop. The specifications are as follows :

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic 64-bit (English Version)
Processor Name Intel® Core(TM) i3-330M Processor 2.13 GHz *1
Chipset Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
Memory Bus 1066 MHz
Cache Memory 3 MB (L3 Cache)
Pre-installed/Max 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM *2 (upgradeable up to 8 GB*3)
SO-DIMM slots 2 SO-DIMM slots (The pre-installed memory module uses one)
Hard Disk Drive 320 GB*4 (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
Drive DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM Drive
Graphics Accelerator Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Type 15.5 (39.4 cm) wide (WXGA: 1366 x 768) TFT colour display (VAIO Display)
Sound Chip Intel® High Definition Audio compatible , 3D audio (Direct Sound 3D support)
Others eSATA / USB port x 1

My query is will I be able to install Windows XP Professional(x64) with SP-3 in my laptop. Will it support ? Ofcourse if I got the correct drivers.
Sony website is providing downgrade to XP so they are supplying XP drivers. But I am not sure are those meant for only (x32) or (x64).
My next query is if I install (x32) XP will it support. Even if it support will I be able to get the full utilization of i3-330M Processor.

What are the rest Operating System which will support my laptop with the above mentioned specs.

Thanking you in anticipations.

Regards,
I am sorry Kriss:

Your laptop is locked at maximum 2g and there is nothing that you can do.
Even if you install say two sticks of 2g memory totaling 4g you will not be
using the other memory banks because your motherboard is limited only
to bank1 which can hold only a maximum 2g's of ram :(

B.M
I don't know maybe I should upgrade my system bit from 32-bit to 64-bit operation system. Please kindly help me out?
The windows 32 bit operating system only will read 3.3 or 3.6 gigs of ram. if you want to make use of any more, you are required to upgrade to the 64 bit.
there's no "crack" you can use to allow your computer to read more while on the 32 bit. At least not one that'd be considered even remotely safe.