View laptop on TV

Closed
Wasco - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 15, 2010 at 01:00 PM
Hello,

I have an acer aspire 5920 and a Toshiba Regza HD TV. I am trying to watch films, via iTunes or DVD from my laptop on my TV.

Unfortunately there is no HDMi connection on my laptop so i have had to use the VGA port. However when i connect the laptop to TV using this both screens go blank - i cant see anything! The TV does not seem to recognise that it is connected to the laptop.

How do i watch my laptop on my TV - and do i need separate video and audio connections?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 15, 2010 at 01:00 PM
Yes - you do need separate video and audio connections - the VGA cable does not carry an audio signal. You must connect a wire from the headphone jack to the TV.

Did you activate the external video port? There is a function key on the top row that together with the Fn (function key) activates the output video plug. Each manufacturer uses a different key - so I can't tell you which to use.

Good Luck