Screen goes black

Solved/Closed
Chris - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM
 Chris - Feb 21, 2010 at 08:38 AM
Hello,
I just received a custom built gaming computer. It ran fine until I hooked up to Qwest, got online and started playing World of Warcraft. Now, after about 10-15 minutes, the background will go black, but I still have a few viewable items in the foreground. Not believing that this could possibly be my video card (as I have a very powerful one), I lowered all in game graphics and still have the same problem. The background turns black, I press Ctrl Alt Delete and am able to click back into the game, play for 10 min, it happens again, except the second time when I press Ctrl Alt Delete, it won't allow me to get out of the game AND it is now happening even when I'm not playing WOW. I'll be checking my hotmail account and it will happen. Very, very frustrated as the computer is 5 days old. It is a Windows 7 and I knwo very little about the specifics about computers. I have read some other posts and will try safe mode suggestions. If anyone has any other other advise, please help. I have not called either Qwest tech support ot the company I bought the computer from as I feel that they are going to say there's nothing wrong with their product, it must be Qwest or vise versa. But I will call today anyways, though I dont't think it will help.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Feb 20, 2010 at 09:24 PM
I suspect a heat related issue. Can you run the PC with the case open and a fan blowing cool air on the video card? If it works OK with the fan - then you have found the problem. All you did was plug a LAN cable into the back of the computer or did you put some kind of internal card to connect to Qwest?

Good Luck
Plugged a Qwest wireless internet into USB. Also have a high quality cooling liquid system in computer.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Feb 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM
If it's not installed right it could still overheat.
I restored the computer to before I downloaded all the Qwest junk and Norton. Granted, I had to re-install WOW, but the problem is gone. Instead of installing Norton, I downloaded Comodo internet security for free. Everything runs as it should, prefect. So that tells me it was either one of the Qwest programs or Norton.