Blinking cursor when installing Windows 7

Closed
Dragon Man - Feb 24, 2010 at 07:28 PM
 Touche - May 6, 2010 at 02:32 PM
Hello,

I am trying to do a clean install on a brand new hard drive of Windows 7 but I cannot get the CD to boot when I start my laptop. I went into the BIOS and have the drive order with the CD/DVD booting first. When i start the computer, it shows the HP introduction screen but instead of starting the Windows 7 installation like it should, it just shows a blinking white cursor on a black screen. The laptop I have is a HP DV9700 AMD Turion64 with an NVIDIA graphics card 2 GHZ processor with 3 GB of RAM and originally came with Vista but there was a hard drive failure so i had to order a Seagate 320GB hard drive and formatted it. I know that this particular laptop has problems with a lot of people with the motherboard but I don't think that this is a motherboard issue. Just cannot seem to get the laptop to boot from the CD. I know that this CD can boot from startup since I have tried it on another computer. Can anybody give me any ideas on what might be preventing the CD from booting on this laptop?

Thank you
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 25, 2010 at 02:44 AM
Hi there,

The cd drive itself,hook an external ddvd drive and boot from it,else before doing do ,use a lens cleaner and get it cleaned and try again.

Thanks
I had the same problem with new Ubuntu 10.04, but actually the disc was dirty so I had burn a new disc. Thanks for the tip!