Couldn't open lot of programs...

Closed
ravi - Mar 16, 2010 at 01:16 PM
 ravi - Apr 1, 2010 at 04:49 PM
Hello,
I think my PC got virus. I tried scanning with McAfee and Runreg, but did have any difference. I couldn't install any program or any anti virus suggested in this site. I even cannot open web browsers exept IE. For most of the programs it is prompting me to select from Open With( I think you guys uderstand what I am talking about) and for some programs I am getting a mesg like "Error: Application not found". I even tried restoring the system, I tried to restore the system in safe mode to the date which was almost past 2 months. But I didn't see any difference. Can anyone help me..

Please help,
ravi

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 16, 2010 at 03:04 PM
Hello Ravi,

As the blind said: "I see".

You problem sounds familiar and congratulations on your attempt to restore the system, that was a good idea.

Unfortunately, no antivirus application is perfect including Symantec and McAfee, even when their virus definition files are up-to-date.

Before prescribing the right medication, for it may defer as to the type of virus, I suggest that you download and install Hyjackthis. Hyjackthis will give me a picture of the processes and the registry keys susceptible of hiding malware.

Please request a scan and save a log. Once the scan is over, the log will automatically open. Copy the log and paste it here. Thank you.

Here is the link to Hyjackthis:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Regards
Hiii,

Thanks for your quick reply. I downloaded Hijackthis and installed on my computer. But I couldn't open that program. If I click it, I am getting an pop-up like "Error: Application not found". Can you suggest any other alternative or some other idea.

Thanks,
ravi.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 17, 2010 at 01:54 PM
Yes sir,

I may not be rich but ideas I have.

First, download ComboFix

Disable your modem.
Disable you antivirus application

Run ComboFix. You may be asked to reboot your machine and continue.

https://combofix.org/

Please let me know
Hey thanks for ur help... I did that... and aftersome time I got same type of problem again..
So What should I do now.. Plz help me..
Can't I get a permanent fix for that..

thanks..

ravi