Possible stolen data

Closed
ranger - Apr 3, 2010 at 03:12 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 3, 2010 at 04:47 PM
about 6months ago my mother was given a laptop by my sister and brother in-law. she had been letting me use the lap top. i had my own user account set up with documents etc. they took the computer from her claiming they needed to do updates when in reality they got into my account downloaded my info to a jump drive and then havent given the computer back to her. was it legal for them to access my info. without my mothers permission?

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 3, 2010 at 04:43 PM
Hello Ranger,

You question is: "Is it legal?".

That is a large question. It all depends in which country you live in and its law system, such as common law.

It also depends if the information that was taken could be used to your prejudice. Some cases have been tested successfully but in the cases of industrial and corporative fraud. I don't know of individual cases.

I am sure that when the computer was handed over, you know there was a risk. If they got into your account, they probably knew your password, it is like giving your NIP bank card to someone, thus giving permission to use it.

However, if the data is used against you and causes damage, you might have a case, it depends on the nature of the data.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 3, 2010 at 04:47 PM
If you don't mind I will change your title for this is not hacking, it is more like stolen data. Mind you, you would need to prove that the data was actually transfered, it might be just a suspicion of yours.