Sata drives stop my system starting!

Closed
mr itchy Posts 1 Registration date Thursday April 8, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 8, 2010 - Apr 8, 2010 at 06:34 AM
 mr itchy - Apr 9, 2010 at 03:01 AM

Help Please

Heres the problem

Had a big problem with a virus while trying to remove it after it seemed to infect almost every .exe and .dll file the computer refused to restart. When i power on the fans spin for about 5 seconds then everything stops with the power light flashing on the front of the system.
I have unplugged the Sata harddrive and installed 2 8gb ide drives and the system is up and running atm but alot slower then it was with the sata drive. (i forgot how noisey them ide drives where)
I thought the virus had killed he drive so got a new one and still have he same problem.

System Spec
compaq persario sr1719uk

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00587147&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&lang=en&product=1829149

the memory has been upgraded to 1.5gb and has been working fine for many months with this memory.

other things i've tried

while the sata drive is not connected to the motherboard the system still will not start, only when i disconnect it from the power supply will the system boot up from the ide drive.

which makes me think it must be the power supply but would the system still work fine with the ide drives if that was the case ?

Any help appreciated

Richard
>

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Apr 8, 2010 at 07:25 AM
Hi there,

It may be only part of the motherboard which is damaged,that is the port for sata is not functioning,you can try to set it in bios to get conformation and virus do not make a hard drive corrupted as when formatted everything get well or the drive itself is damaged or has bad sectors.

Thanks
Hi Suff945

Thankyou for your reply,

I've had a look at the bios and set everything to default as the virus had changed the clock time and possibly other settings. I did manage to get the system to boot up yesterday with the sata hdd attached, so i used a utility to wipe the drive and its partitions (like fdisk) and reinstalled windows xp and all the drivers and updates. the system was working fine allday with restarts after updates ect.
This morning the system refused to start again. I was wondering do you think a bios update if there is one would help and how easy is it to flash the bios?

Will let you know what happens and if i manage to get it to boot again.

Richard