Won't boot

Closed
lalaland - Apr 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM
simn2703 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday April 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 15, 2010 - Apr 15, 2010 at 04:19 AM
My laptop was always working perfectly fine, then just today when I turned it on, it came up with an error message "fatal error An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Access is denied." I even tried reinstalling XP but it still comes up with the error message. What could be the problem?
Related:

1 response

simn2703 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday April 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 15, 2010 3
Apr 15, 2010 at 04:19 AM
what hard drive is it because You don't have a Default Gateway address for your LAN adapter - you need a gateway address to get internet access.
You also have an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) evidenced by the IP address 169.254.0.0 .
The subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 is also what would be expected when you are assigned a class B IP address such as an APIPA address. You receive an APIPA address when a DHCP server is not available for whatever reason.
You need to configure an address for the Default Gateway for your computer to communicate with your router or modem so that it can request an IP address from a DHCP server - the IP address will be what is used on the internet - your public IP address so that your own personal IP address of your home PC will not be exposed to any internet nasties. You could use Microsoft Help and Support link (on your start menu) and perform a search for the Network Troubleshooter if you have a PC. Otherwise it's a good idea to firstly check for possible physical faults / problems first.

1. Check all your physical connections and equipment (modem).
TURN OFF THE POWER to you computer, modem and anything else that is connected to your computer. Then......Check all cables and connections are secure, in good condition and that they are plugged into the correct ports. Check that your modem is connected properly to the phone jack. Check that all equipment connected in the correct order.

2. Turn the power on. Power the modem on.
Are the modems lights on - Power, Status, Link/Act and Ethernet? Is the Link/Act light on and constant?
Is the link light on you computer lit?

If this is all good then check IPCONFIG /ALL again. If there are still problems phone your ISP and ask them to help with your modem. Tell them about the 169.254.0.0 address, subnet mask information and that you haven't got a Default Gateway they should be able to help you troubleshoot this.

Hopefully this helps, although i'm sure you've most likely got this sorted now. Good Luck:-D