Windows XP screen goes blank after the logo

Closed
Jeff - Oct 21, 2008 at 04:33 AM
 Jeff - Oct 27, 2008 at 06:36 AM
Hello,
I had an extra data disk in my computer die. So I replaced the data disk. The computer booted up fine but did not see the new disk and still showed the old disk as failed. So I used the Disk management tool to initialize the new drive and then format the new drive. The system recognized the new drive and everything looked good. Rebooted the computer and everything worked. Then I again used the disk manager to remove the bad drive was had been physically removed in the very beginning. Then I rebooted the computer. Now when I reboot the Windows XP logo comes up and then the screen goes blank. I have tried booting to safe mode and it goes blank. I tried booting to safe mode with command prompt and I get a bunch of driver messages and the computer locks up. I am at a loss what to try next. This computer has specialty software on it that I cannot loose. This software is on the C drive which I did not loose.

Thanks!
Related:

2 responses

Good afternoon. I too have a very similar problem. After the windows logo comes up on start-up, it goes blank, then resets. But only on the one operatng system, not the second. It makes me think its a software hiccup but I have not recently installed any new hardware at all. Should I find a solution, I will let you know. Please do the same if you find one first. Cheers, Joel.
Hello Joel,
My problem turned out to be hardware related as I thought since it only did it after the replacement of the second hard drive. As it turned out I had reveresed the SATA interface cables. So when I turned off the computer reseated everything and thought am I sure these cables are on the right drive. I swapped the cables from one drive to the other and now it is working just fine. This probably isn't going to help you though I am sorry to say. For your problem it sounds like when you boot to the operating system that is not working you are missing some drivers or something. Good Luck. Jeff