No internal hard drive

Closed
nixie87 - Apr 28, 2010 at 05:46 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 30, 2010 at 05:17 AM
Hi.

Can somebody PLEASE help me?! My DELL 500 laptop is saying that there is no internal hard drive and will thus not log on - what can I do??

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 28, 2010 at 05:50 AM
Hello,

I am afraid that your hardrive has decided that he had enough of this life and died.

You must now replace it.

Sorry about that.
Thanks but somehow I don't want to believe that it has had enough and needs to be replaced because I've only had my laptop for a little over a year. If it is the case to replace, how do I do that?? (I'm not so clued up on the technical side of laptops)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 30, 2010 at 05:17 AM
Hello Nixie,

Your story really makes me angry!

Under normal circumstances, unless you dropped it in a full bathtub, a laptop HD should last something like 10 years.

From what I recall, a lot of people on this forum with a Dell laptop complained of a HD problem similar to yours.

It just so happens that your HD fails after a short period after the warranty has expired.

In my country, if Dell would answer that they would not do anything to compensate because the warranty has expired they would taken into small claims court and they would lose the case for it is like buying a brand new refrigerator, you would expect it to last more than 5 years.

I suggest that you contact Dell and explain the problem. They may have, as it has been the case elsewhere, a secret warranty program for they must be aware of the situation. Don't give up and insist to obtain satisfaction. You can even tell them that the word is spreading on this forum.

As for the replacement of your HD, I am sorry for I am not the best qualified to guide you. My first answer to you was inspired by the answers given by Kioskea's harware expert "XPCMAN" concerning that very same subject.

Good luck