I unistalled Avast but i still have no intern

Closed
Sweetangel - Oct 28, 2008 at 11:58 AM
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 - Oct 30, 2008 at 07:54 PM
Hello,

I uninstalled Avast, but i stilll get the same message on the Network Settings that there's little or no connectivity. I have also disabled Zone Alarm but nothing yet. I will try restoring it to the day before i installed Avast but if that dosent work, does anyone else have any suggenstion as to what the problem might be? Thanks for your help.
Related:

4 responses

rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Oct 28, 2008 at 07:07 PM
I'm not sure I understand your problem. Is it a virus issue or a connectivity issue?
Well, is not a virus because i took the computer to get checked since i thought that's what it was, but everything was fine. So i'm guessing is a connectivity issue. Las night i got it to connect properly and i wasant getting the message anymore, but when i logged on to the internet it still didn't do anything i get the message " the page cannot be displayed".
techchick > Sweetangel
Oct 29, 2008 at 07:06 PM
Hi sweetangel,

Please give the steps below a go and reply with how you went. What this resets is your page permissions which can be damaged by uninstalling/changing Antivirus/Internet solutions such as Norton, Avast! or Macafee.

Kind Regards,

techchick
Hi Sweetangel,

There are a couple of things you can try to help you in this instance. The t/s below will help identify if it's an issue with your browser or your network controllers.

Click 'Start', 'Run' and type cmd click okay.
Where the curser is, type ping www.google.com and press <enter>

Where a ping test is sucessful you can try resetting your network controls by using the command below.
on the cmd screen type

netsh winsock reset catalog <enter>

You should get a message to restart your computer. Restart, connect to the Internet and try browsing again.

If this doesn't help out, pls reply to this thread so I can make another suggestion.

p.s.
with Zone Alarm, there was an update a while back which blocked your Internet connectivity. Please ensure your sensitivity setting is set to 'Medium' prior to completing the above testing. If you find you're able to browse straight after changing the sensitivity - contact ZA for the update to resolve the blocking via their website.

Good Luck,
techchick
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM
In Windows XP, a reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

To run the manual command successfully, you must specify a file name for the log, in which the actions that netsh takes will be recorded. When you run the manual command, TCP/IP is reset and the actions that were taken are recorded in the log file, known as resetlog.txt in this article.

The first example, c:\resetlog.txt, creates a path where the log will reside. The second example, resetlog.txt, creates the log file in the current directory. In either case, if the specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end of the existing file.

Back to the top
NEXT STEPS
If these methods did not work for you, you might want to ask someone for help, search for more information about the problem, or contact Support. For information about how to contact Support, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus (https://support.microsoft.com/contactus
If you experience symptoms that differ from those that are described in this article, you can search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for more information. To search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us
Type the text of the error message that you received or type a description of the problem in the Search field and then click Search.

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314067 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/tn-archive/bb727023(v=technet.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
811259 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/811259/how-to-determine-and-to-recover-from-winsock2-corruption-in-windows-se/ How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Back to the top
REFERENCES
314053 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314053/tcp-ip-and-nbt-configuration-parameters-for-windows-xp/ TCP/IP and NBT configuration parameters for Windows XP
Hi Rubrami

Informative post.

It's worth noting that resetting the TCP/IP stack though doesn't always reset the winsock catalog which controls your port access for websites. It's also only available in SP2 and above in Win XP and isn't always available for XP Windows Media Centre edition.

Additionally, a winsock catalog reset is less likely to cause antivirus apps like AVG and Trend Micro to become in effective and restores traffic over port 80 (standard 'Internet browsing' port) where a ping is sucessful.

It's also only available in SP2 and above in Win XP and isn't always available for XP Windows Media Centre edition.

If you do need to reset your TCP/IP controllers using the info in your post, please ensure that you have a copy of yoru antivirus/Internet security available for re-installation as you may need to re-install it. (Especially if you use Trend Micro, PCCillin, AVG 8.0 w firewall)

In any case, hope these suggestions resolve the browsing issue :)

Cheers,
techchick.
Oct 30, 2008 at 07:54 PM
Thank U 4 the Info!!!!!!!!!!!