Antivirus and antispyware remain useful as long as you update them regularly. Nowadays, thanks to the Internet, security programs are updated automatically, but how can you update an antivirus if you don't have an Internet connection? In this article, we will show you an alternative.
It’s worth noting that, you should use a computer with an internet connection to download the appropriate updates, save these files on a removable device (a USB stick, for example) and then transfer them to the target computer.
1. Go to Avast's update page: click here.
2. In the Update Avast VPS section, click on the Download button depending on the version of the antivirus you want to update.
3. Finally, copy the .exe file to the destination computer and run it to update the antivirus.
To update the program, Avast may ask you for a serial number. You need to submit it even if you do not have an Internet connection.
1. Download the Avira update tool by clicking here. This tool allows you to create an antivirus update file according to your needs.
2. Copy the downloaded file to the target PC. Then unzip it and open the folder with the name avira_fusebundlegen-win32-en.
3. Run the update generator and wait for the package file with the update of the VDF (virus definition files), engine and control files to be generated. A folder named Install will then be created, where the generated file vdf_fusebundle.zip is stored.
4. Open Avira, click on Update in the top menu and select Manual Update.
5. Load the update file (the merged package). In the new window, navigate to the Install folder and open the file vdf_fusebundle.zip.
6. Finally, update Avira. Here you can see the complete VDF history.
Most McAfee anti-virus products can be updated with an executable file.
1. Go to the McAfee security updates page.
2. Click I Agree.
3. In the new window, click the download link for the file you are looking for.
4. Finally, copy the file to the destination computer and run it to update the antivirus.
Spybot Search & Destroy
1. To manually update Spybot, download the update file by clicking here.
2. When you run the file, you will be asked to select a folder. Choose the Spybot program folder called C:Program Files (x86)-Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 or C:Program Files - Search & Destroy 2.
Note: Several antivirus programs, such as AdWare and Panda, have removed the option to update offline. This is because they have moved their files to cloud services, so an Internet connection is required.