VISTA PROBLEM

Closed
bigal - May 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 2, 2010 at 03:32 PM
Hi I am another one of the croud who tried to download windows vista sp1 - now it won't boot properly.
I have tried using the Dell re-installation DVD but that won't work - it loads files and then I get a message telling me that a problem has been detected and that windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer
I have also tried Spotmau power suite download but it won't boot properly
Whatever I try I cannot get to a Windows recovery window option
I feel that I would like to change my operating system to XP, and I have another computer which uses XP. If I try to install it over the Vista it starts to instal but when it asks me to press F8 to agree to conditions, the F8 key won't work - so I have to escape from the installation.
Is it worth while getting a Vista CD - and try to re-install, or should I try buying an XP Cd and try to install that over Vista - I think that it won't install unless I re-format the Hard drive. If that is the case, how do I re-format without being able to boot and run Windows?
Lots of questions I'm afraid, but really all I want to do is start using the computer again - I don't care if it's XP or Vista

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
May 2, 2010 at 03:32 PM
Installing XP on a late model laptop can be very difficult. XP does not contain drivers for the newer hardware and the manufacturers often don't provide them. Sometimes the laptop has an advanced SATA controller that XP can't interface with and XP can't even find the hard drive to start the installation.

I would stick with Vista or you might want to upgrade to Windows 7.

Good Luck