Input a range of cells

Solved/Closed
Andy - May 7, 2010 at 08:21 AM
 andy - May 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM
If i want to highlight a row of cells in red to show a
lead is dead say A1 to E1, buy inputting "lose" in E1 I now have the formula =$A$1="lose" which is great thank you. But I now want the rest of the spread sheet to do the same up to line number 1000, if I try to copy and paste special it doesnt carry over the conditional formatting over.
Do I need to input every single line in manually or is there a formula to do this please. Thank you for your help so far.
So I need A2 to E
then A3 to E

Etc to 1000 each line indepentant of the last, I hop that makes sense, Thank you. Andy

9 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 7, 2010 at 08:32 AM
select columns A:E and in conditional format type
=$A1="lose"
and chose color red
You could also select A1:E1 drag it down till row 1000 and when you release a small square appears, click the square and you will get 4 options. Choose the third from the top, something like 'Apply format only'.
Tried that and it doesnt appear to be working.It doent carry over the conditional formatting all that happens is if I input lose all of the cells now created turn to red, where I need still only a line at a time.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 7, 2010 at 09:15 AM
Could you post a sample book with your formatting at some share site like https://authentification.site or some other. The formatting that I gave you does work for me. This is what you wanted. In a value in a cell in column A is "lose", then make that row (A;E) red. ?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Yes that works fine, thank you. I just cant seem to copy it to the other 999 lines that I need to work independantly the same. thank you for your help.
May 7, 2010 at 09:44 AM
So does it work or not for you Why you have to copy multiple times Select Column A thru E and then put the formula
=$A1="lose"
and chose color red
Basically my form is like this
A B C D E
1 Name number date job Win/ lose
2 Jones Q3501 castle Win
3 Baxter Q3502 romford Lose
4 simple Q3502 dog Win
5 smith Q3504 house lose
I'd like the win rows green and the lose row to highlight in red I, can use the formula to change the jones line for example but cant get it to copy down the page to subsequent lines baxter simple etc, note the form I have is blank at present.
Thank you.
May 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Could you please upload a sample file with sample data etc on some shared site like https://authentification.site and post back here the link to allow better understanding of how it is now and how you foresee.
Done it the second formula works here, excellat thank you for your help really much appreciated.

Regards