Virus protection turned off - BIG MESS

Closed
SMB - May 7, 2010 at 06:50 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 9, 2010 at 06:06 AM
Hi,

I have a massive issue and have no idea what to do. I came home last night to my sleeping computer only to find I couldn't open Firefox] (wouldn't load), Itunes, or any other program. In addition, I noticed that Windows Defender and all my other protection programs were turned off and could not be turned on. I couldn't do anything! I tried to download AdAware, Spybot] and some others just to try and scan my computer or even defrag, but Firefox wouldn't download it. The box appeared that it was downloading but it then disappeared.

I started my computer 4 or 5 times, unplugged external drive and ethernet - you name it! then I started my computer in Guest mode instead of Administrator and I could access some things and the internet but still no virus protection or downloading or even a music file. I started in Safe Mode and then could access Defender and Norton (which I normally don't use) and ran a scan. It pulled up 3 Trojan viruses thus far (i left for work while it was scanning) and have NO IDEA how that could have happened while I was asleep.

Please tell me what I can do to!
thanks,
smb
Related:

3 responses

jorhay Posts 20 Registration date Sunday May 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2010
May 9, 2010 at 05:53 AM
foramt your unit and install avast 4.8 for more protection....
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
May 9, 2010 at 06:02 AM
Hello Jorhay,

I am just curious, how many times per year to you reformat your system and loose all of your data. With all respect due, your solution is extremely drastic.

Regards
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
May 9, 2010 at 06:06 AM
Hello SMB,

I suggest that we start with a first step, if your computer still has problems, we will go on to a next:

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Before you install, just in case you have a self-protective rogue Trojan Horse, rename MBAM to kioskea.exe.

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take about 90 minutes.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Let me know about the results.

Regards