Dvd/rw driver problems not in the device

Solved/Closed
John - Nov 2, 2008 at 05:23 PM
 faz - Sep 15, 2014 at 05:29 AM
Hello,
I am having problems the dvd/rw driver and it won't show on the device and my computer and it is missing and that I have done on F2 and found the driver dvd/rw and it said (Not Present) but how to change it without (Not Present) from Dell Bios F2.
Please can you help me...

Regards John.
Related:

6 responses

rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 2, 2008 at 07:22 PM
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:

1.Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

This can be done by opening the start menu and left clicking RUN, another option is pressing the windows logo key on the keyboard

together with the R key, in the box you type regedit and click OK ( or enter on your keyboard )
2. Find the right key in the registry.

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

When you see the UpperFilters key left click it and press delete, you will be asked for a confirmation, just click YES

Now do the exact same but with the Lowerfilters.
3. Reboot the computer

Now restart your computer and you should have a working CD/DVD drive once more !

CONCLUSION:

Some CD/DVD writing software change the filters in the registry to there own, this can sometimes cause problems.

By deleting these value's windows puts them back on default after a reboot.............Good Luck!!!!!!!
Thanks man...I had the same problem. You guys are awesome. Many thanks from Belgium !!!!!!!
Hello,
I am having the same problems as John I believe. I have a DEll Vostro 1500, and it has a duall dvd/rw driver that burns both cd and dvd's. I used to burn both fine but about a month ago it came up with an error under the dvd/rw drive and would not reconize or play either dvd's or cd's. I located that it was probably a registry error, but as I was computer illterate and did not want to delete the wrong thing I took it to a computer place to have them fix the problem and all they managed to get working was the cd part of my drive. Allthough, they told me they had both working fine. I have since been educating myself on computer registry problems and ran across your helpful forum. My dvd/rw drive under properties says only cd drive not both dvd/rw drive and cd drive like it used to. So, I am concluding somthing is still not in the registry correctly. I tryed what you said, but I have no UpperFilters key in my registry to delete. I can only find a LowerFilters. Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to what is wrong or I might be missing? I could really use some help..

Thanks,
crazyannie23