Windows XP Won't Boot Up, Can't get my files!

Closed
CompNewb Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 13, 2010 - May 13, 2010 at 08:34 PM
djsmurf Posts 98 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2011 - May 15, 2010 at 08:10 PM
Hi guys,

My 2005 Windows XP Gateway Computer recently just stopped working. It will start booting up and then flash a blue screen and then just stop saying that Windows couldn't start correctly. It then gives me a bunch of options like Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration. I've tried all of these and none work. I've also tried all the options in the F8 Advanced Boot Menu. I've tried doing a Repair Install but it doesn't give me the option to repair. My last resort now is just to try and get all the files off and reformat the computer. Unfortunately I can't even do that. I tried to do a System Restore with backup but Gateway didn't give me that option. It completely skipped that part and went straight to Full System Restore Destructive and asked for my approval. I don't know what to do anymore guys. Please please help

Related:

2 responses

QueenBee3 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday May 15, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2010
May 15, 2010 at 07:54 PM
I was in a similiar situation. I booted my Acer laptop from every available boot option. It would begin to load and then the screen went black. Tried everything I saw I on the web. Finally, I did the following.

1. Removed all power sources.

2. Pressed on button for 60 seconds.

3. Powered up and then turned back off.

4. Pressed on button until it powered up. Did not remove finger. However, if it won't power up then do so manually.

5. For Acer laptops, after you power up this last time, push alt and f10 continuously. My laptop made a continuous beep sound and then launched the Ace Recovery system and I restored the laptop to factory settings.

I almost cried. I even kissed the stupid thing. Hope this helps.
djsmurf Posts 98 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2011 19
May 15, 2010 at 08:10 PM
CompNewb,

Doing a hard reset as describe above may work but there are other things we can do.

The first thing we need to know is what blue screen error your getting, when you power on the computer start pushing F8 this will take you to the "Advance boot options" in here find and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" then your computer should continue to load until the error only this time it should stop on the blue screen rather then reboot.

If you can can you please post the information that is on the blue screen. (see below)

The problem seem to be caused by by the following file:_______________

Technical Information:

There are lots of things that cause the BSOD (blue screen of death), and even more ways to fix them, let me know mate and we will go from there.