PPS ATTACHMENTS

Solved/Closed
twin90s - Nov 3, 2008 at 06:01 PM
 crazy - Apr 23, 2010 at 04:10 PM
Hello,
I tried finding the place under tool/options to untick but I didn't find it. I have OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 and recently had to reformat computer. Before, the PPS attachments opened when I clicked them in the e-mail. Now they won't. It's not difficult to download it to my desktop and then open it, it's just annoying THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT:))...so if anyone can help me, I will send you my extra Halloweeen candy:))

11 responses

it's under tools, options, do not allow attachments to opened....................
I've been having the same problem on both my computers.

I fixed it on the one with Vista and just found this, https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/ppsopen.htm which sounds like it might be directions for XP. I'm using Outlook and don't have time to work on it tonight so I can't vouch for the directions.

The first thing to check are your default associations. If that looks OK and it still doesn't work you have to edit the registry.

Google Ramesh Srinivasan or go to https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/ That's where I found the Windows Mail/Vista solution.
Your help is much appreciated Usually these days, people find pleasure in other things. though it didn't work for me, doesn't mean I'm not going to try again when I am less rushed. Many thanks for taking the time.
I had the same problem in Windows Vista. I was using powerpoint viewer but it would not work from my email. Downloaded a PPS file to the hard drive where you can find it. Go to the file and right click on it. Select "Open With". If "Powerpoint viewer" is there select it. If it is not there click "choose default Program". Go to computer,local disk c:, program files, Microsoft Office, Office 12, then Select "PPtview.exe. Now your pps files should work from your email.
Okay, I've read the responses in the thread and I still get the error message "... there is no program associated with this type file... " I've gone and double checked the file associations and all is well. I do not have Microsoft Office installled, just Power Point Viewer. The files open just as they should when saved to the computer, but not in Outlook Express. The same thing has been going on with Mom's notebook. This one of mine is a new netbook. Pretty disgusting! Oh, I did have Open Office installed in the netbook, and it would open under Outlook Express, but would then crash when trying to get a slide show going... Thanks for any help.
heatmatt > NMKen
Nov 16, 2009 at 03:41 PM
I am getting the same message with the same problem!!!!
NMKen, I have the same problem that you describe. PPS won't open in email, only after saving to computer. Were you able to solve it? If so, would you mind sharing the solution with me. Thanks.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, FINALLY I FOUND SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING ON THIS CRAZY VISTA. I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN I CLICKED ON MY PPS FILE WITHIN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND IT OPENED RIGHT AWAY. I AM THRILLED TO DEATH. I COULD EVEN OPEN THEM ON MY IPHONE, BUT NOT HERE, BUT NOW I CAN. I APPRECIATE YOUR SUGGESTION VERY MUCH. I TRIED A MILLION THINGS UP TO THIS POINT.
outlook express mail will not open attachments to power point.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM
Hello,
As xpcman said you, if you want to read only .pps files , you can download and install powerpoint viewer , but if you want to read, to edit or to create .pps files you can download Openoffice.org which is a free and open source Office suite compatible with all other major office suites like Microsoft Office (97-2007 formats).
Best regards
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Nov 3, 2008 at 06:45 PM
You need to install Microsoft Office for PPS (power point)files to open. or you have to download a PowerPoint viewer from Microsoft.
Did you cure the problem,I have it too,yes I too have to save it to my documents, then it opens using power point
as it is associated to that,but not in outlookexpress6, it used to ^_^
All the suggestions reflect what has always been on my computer.
1. I have the PPS viewer
2. I have XP
3, I believe the problem lies with Outlook Express and something I should do with IT, but I don't know what IT IS???
I found this solution but haven't tried it. It might work and there are screenshots -

https://ccm.net/faq/190-opening-a-pps-file

* If you are still unable to open the PPS file, make sure the program has been installed
properly. Right click on My Computer and selectExplore/ToolsFolder

* Optionsfollowed by Files Types. After Search is complete, this program will lists all
existing files types on your computer. Then scroll onto the PPS files if installed and select
Advanced, below image will appear:-

* Select the Show and enter the following command in the corresponding box:
* Action: &show
* Application used to perform program:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\pptview.exe"%1"

* This will appear as per below screenshot:
* Click on OK to save all changes. You will go back to previous screen. You will depict

change in show which should appear in bold. After the above process, you will be able to
open PPS file
Leslie, Thanks for the response. The File Path you have is incorrect. Close, but incorrect. Here are the proper instructions for fixing this problem when using Windows XP and Outlook Express. You need to create an Open file path. I was only able to open the file after saving it to the computer because it uses the Show command. Make sure you type in Open in the Action box and then make sure you type in the file path exactly as written in the instructions. This worked for me. I am now able to open Power Point files directly from my email. https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/ppsopen.htm
Thanks JM.

The link you provided worked fine for me and I can now open .pps files in Outlook Express.

Much appreciated.
This link worked right out of the gate for me also, at last. I had always had to transfer these e-mails to my yahoo acct. where they only sometimes opened. Many, many thanks!
How about for Vista? Thanks.
yahoo just want you to buy a Norton anti virus.....and you can download an attachment