My computer turns on, but doesn't boot.

Closed
Kade - May 28, 2010 at 08:48 PM
 Kade - May 29, 2010 at 07:37 AM
Hello,

Basically, my computer turns on, lights, fans, external drives, etc., but Windows does not boot. While I understand that this is not an unusual problem, and have done research on this problem myself, I can provide a bit of information that may make my problem's solution easier to find.

Basic problem: My computer turns on, but does not boot
Notes:
:All of the fans seem to be working
:The "Dell" screen appears on my monitor, it just doesn't go anywhere from there. I can't even get into Safe Mode. Additionally, I do not have to "hold" the power button to turn it off. I simply have to press it.
:an external hard drive of mine turns on when the computer turns on, but then the light goes out after a minute or two, which tells me that it receives something when the computer starts up, but not after that.
:Last thing I did: I turned on my computer when I got home from work. I noticed that Firefox was not starting properly. Upon checking my Task Manager, I noticed that my computer was using an exorbitant amount of RAM inexplicably. I would assume that means that my RAM was dying out, either that or I had some virus or malware. Though a virus would at least get me past the opening screen, right?

I think the solution may be new RAM, but I've also read the the problem could also be the motherboard, power supply, or some combination of the above. I hope that the information I gave is useful to pinning down the problem.

Computer Make/Model:
Dell Inspiron 530s (Slim Desktop)

Thank you all for your help!
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
May 29, 2010 at 06:26 AM
Dear Sir,

Please indicate whether there is any beep sound so that we get to help you about it.

Thank you.
Would the beep be as the fans and computer start up, or during the first screen? Either way, I do not think there is a beep.