Connect ps3 to pc via wi - fi with YDL 6

Closed
Rob83 - Nov 8, 2008 at 01:21 AM
 stealdude - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Hello,
I just installed YDL 6 on my PS3, and am trying to get the internet to work on it. I have broadband connected to the PC via a cable, can I somehow access the net AND the PC using the PS3's wi - fi?? P.S, I'm not familiar with Linux yet. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Related:

4 responses

somichead Posts 8 Registration date Friday November 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 18, 2009 9
Nov 8, 2008 at 06:39 AM
but tell me do you have a wifi router first of all?
It works on the PS3 running the Game OS...
Peteseats > Rob83
Jan 17, 2009 at 07:36 AM
I am a more advanced user of Linux, but I have the same problem. I haven't really done much networking stuff before and the problem is only with the wireless. Could it because I am using WPA2 instead of WEP?

thanks
FYI

I just installed YDL 6 <something> on a PS3. The first time, wicd (network manager) crashed, probably because I tried some other network tools as root (newbies -- root is GOD and will happily wreck your world if you don't know Unix/Linux -- be EXTREMELY careful as root). There is an update on wicd on the YDL website, but I didn't know about it so reinstalled the whole package. Thereafter, was able to see my wireless network and the neighbors either side of me. Mine is configured with WPA security, one neighbor with WEP, the other is unsecured. I know the passkeys for all networks.

Using wicd, I have entered the protocols and passkeys for all the networks. On attempting to connect, I think wicd gets hung up on trying to get an IP address from the ISP's DCHP, for the secured networks. I am able to connect to the unsecured network and then Firefox works very well. Using Windows PCs, I can connect to any of the networks at will. Running the PS3 system, I can connect to my WPA network.

I need advice on getting the security key proper for the secured neworks. I suspect (probably naively) the keys need be entered in hex (I know the ASCII), but of course don't know how to do this.

Finally, under YDL the download rate is about 1 megaBYTE/sec on the Wireless g network of my neighbors. Under the PS3 networking, I connect to my WPA network on wireless n and it is much much slower.

I
I have installed ydl on my ps3...
everything worked fine but then when i entered the nestwork config and setup the whole settings and everything and entered firefox it says "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER"i want to use wireless internet!