My two modems dont work why

Closed
qwerty16-17 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday May 30, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2010 - May 30, 2010 at 03:11 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 30, 2010 at 03:26 PM
Hello,

i have two modems in my house one is wireless and one is wired but when one is going the other one has all the lights going but the adsl and i wounder how to make it so that thay both woork at the same time

pleae it would realy help if i could have an answer
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 30, 2010 at 03:26 PM
What you want to do is use the wireless router as an access point. The issue is with using the two routers. What you should do is leave your first router (the one connected to your modem/the internet) as is. Then run a cable from one of its ethernet ports to one of the LAN ethernet ports on the second router. Do not use the WAN port on the second router at all. On your second router's set up page, there should be an option to configure the internet connection type (static, PPpOE, etc.) you should set this to "disabled" as in there is no internet connection. Depending on your router there may also be an option to put the router in "router" mode or "gateway" mode. On my linksys WRT54G it is under "Advanced Routing" tab. Set this to "Router". Finally, make sure the DHCP server on the second router is set to disabled. Now, when ever you connect to this second router, the computers will get their IP addresses from the first router, and will appear as if they are plugged directly into the first router. As for setting static IP addresses, you would do this on the main router, if it has the ability.